Basil every week - 9 AM

EDGC Sunday Doubles

Rotating courses - 9 AM

Millennium Games - Over 1,000 discs!

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Stamp Designs for Worlds

About the 2011 PDGA Amateur World Championships!

Stamp Designs for Worlds

Postby gator » Sun Jan 4, 2009 6:19 pm

I know Tony mentioned at the worlds meetings that we would need 8 designs for discs so if anyone has any ideas or designs you would like to post this would be the place. I'll start it off with a couple I came up with today, they're obviously for a full color stamp but i posted the gray scale images as well. http://photobucket.com/2011WorldStamps

If you have any ideas of things that typically represent Rochester and might look good on a disc please let me know. All I could come up with is :

- the city skyline
- lilacs - for the lilac festival and this is flower city
- garbage plates - which has been difficult to make look attractive in a design
gator

Name: Greg
PDGA #: 36882

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Jan 5, 2009 4:59 pm

We had pins made for the 1999 Worlds that would make GREAT disc logos.......you might want to contact a few people that have these......I have two logos that you might want to look at......we had the city skyline. for a few of them.....you might want to also have one of the new bridge going over the Genesee River.......would be coooooool !!!!!
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby gator » Mon Jan 5, 2009 5:09 pm

yeah if anyone has any of the designs from the 99 worlds that would be great to see. I'm also looking for a good picture of the skyline with the new bridge...I'd rather not have t go take the picture myself if someone all ready has it. Dave if you could bring those tonight if your coming that would be great.
gator

Postby gator » Mon Jan 5, 2009 6:25 pm

put a couple more images up today...one that is more basic with out color and has a wider range of use and the other one probably not so much.
gator

Postby gator » Mon Jan 5, 2009 11:15 pm

ok so 45 people have now viewed this post one of you must have followed the link and looked at the pictures....WHERE ARE THE COMMENTS? anything is better then nothing, what did you like, what did you dislike, what do you want to see! I'm willing to do more designs but this logo and disc designs will represent us, people will look at these discs years from now and remember this tournament.
gator

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:44 pm

Nice so far.........more color? pics of "signature holes"? I will try to get '99 pin pics to you ASAP....they were nice......would have made nice discs.......I gave Jim Owens the complete set of pins.......you might want to contact him so that he can show you what we did........They were terrific! Dave
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

PDGA #:

Postby rhand » Wed Jan 7, 2009 11:51 am

Gator,

I would say my favorite is the one with the sky line and the writing up above it. I would like to see the writing more structured....currently a little to wavy for me. The other ones are so so, not very specific for us.

Ryan
rhand

Name: Ryan Hand
PDGA #: 18846

Postby gator » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:29 pm

I believe this is the main logo for the worlds in Kalamazoo...just so people can see what they came up with
http://www.huklab.com/d/files/images/2008Worlds.jpg

This is the image used on more of the discs and shwag for 2008
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/i ... xDrone.jpg

You can go to www.kcworlds.com to see the logo for this year. Here is a fundraising disc from Kansas City http://www.discgolfworld.com/discgolfwo ... n-smon.gif
gator

Postby D_Hastings » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:21 pm

the 2nd link was their main logo. It was on everything and i mean everything. hats, mini, discs, posters, booklets, tee signs, deck of cards, pencils, beer holders, you name it and they had that logo on it
Grip'nRip Discs
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 723&v=wall

ACERUNdg.com! check it!
D_Hastings

Name: Dan Hastings
PDGA #:

Postby gator » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:10 pm

I agree the second image is all over the merch but if you got to the homepage for the 2008 worlds its the other image that you will see as their logo. I know people like the Rochester skyline for the logo and the clock design but as far as logos go I don't think its a strong image. The skyline is hard to scale down onto smaller objects like a pencil holder, mini, or hat. Like Dan said the second image was all over the merch and if you look at the logo for 2009 you will notice both images are much more simple.
gator

Spelling

Postby SamHil66 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:23 pm

AmatEUr
SamHil66

PDGA #:

Postby gator » Thu Jan 8, 2009 2:16 pm

I've made contact with Rick Rothstein who is in charge of sponsoships for 2009 worlds. He gave me a better resolution of their "corporate logo" which I will have up on the site with the other images I've put together. He also wanted me to say hi to the team that put together the 84 and 99 worlds, "Dave and Vanza and Royce and Jim P"
gator

Rick Rothstein

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jan 8, 2009 4:04 pm

Gotta "luv" Rick! He is "Top Shelf"! However,I want to make the record straight......Royce Racinowski "ramrodded" the Worlds and put together a super event! We were but the " small cogs" in a bigger wheel! I sincerely hope that he will be involved in the 2011 event as he has invaluable experience and insight into what it takes to pull off an event of this magnitude! Dave
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

PDGA #:

Postby gator » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:24 pm

I have another logo with the skyline up, on Ryan's suggestion I went with a different font. If anyone can think of a font from something they've seen let me know and I can most likely incorporate it. I think its important to get a logo that we can use on letter head just so we have something to put on letter head for fund raising.
gator

Postby rhand » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Gator I don't know if I looked in the right spot??? I clicked the link on the first post.

I like the flower one. I think that would be a really good shirt design. I'm not in love with the font on that either though. It seems hard to read, but that might just be me. Is Rochester spelled wrong?

The skyline pictures are good. I just wonder if the font steels something away from it. The font seems like it is twice the size of the skyline and then that is all I'm looking at.

Ryan
rhand

Name: Ryan Hand
PDGA #: 18846

Postby gator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:47 am

right on all account Ryan, I'll try and revise them within the next few days.
gator

Designs??

Postby ash03vic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm a graphic designer and I've been quite bored this summer due to the lack of freelancing job opportunities and moving around lately. My fiance informed me of this forum and I'm quite interested in working on some designs for the disc stamps. It would keep me busy and expand my portfolio :D I hope it's still open..... cause I've got some great ideas for Rochester's stamps for either 2009, 2010, 2011- just let me know what's going on.
ash03vic

PDGA #:

Postby DeafDiscGolfer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Please do create one or couple and post it on this forum!!

We could use all the helps from anyone!!
Tee Off and Pay ATTENTION!! :shock:
(a twisted concept from Ed's infamous quote)
http://www.ddga.org
NEDDG #12 / DDGA #134 / DGCR #1287 / PDGA #42420
DeafDiscGolfer

Name: Patrick Harris
PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:58 pm

We could also use one or two for the MCC Fall Classic on Alumni Weekend! Check the MCC website for dates or get a hold of Jeff Parrinello,Intramural Director.....thx,dt
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

PDGA #:

Postby ash03vic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 pm

I've been able to work on one idea today and this is what I have so far.... Hope ya'll like it. When I first moved to New York, the multitude of squirrels were the first thing that I noticed about Rochester... Thought it'd be a good idea :D

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae11 ... ture13.png
ash03vic

PDGA #:

Postby walker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 pm

awesome, glad to have a graphic designer on board. I would suggest taking a look at the other ideas posted so far, as well as other discs in general. I'm guessing we'll need some full color, and some black and white, as well as 'line style'. There's also a thread about clocks somewhere if you're that bored.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby DeafDiscGolfer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:56 am

Nice concept.

But keep in mind that Rochester is only hosting the AM Worlds, not Pro Worlds. So, make sure that there's "AM" or "Amateur" included in the design.

That's all and keep creating some more!!
Tee Off and Pay ATTENTION!! :shock:
(a twisted concept from Ed's infamous quote)
http://www.ddga.org
NEDDG #12 / DDGA #134 / DGCR #1287 / PDGA #42420
DeafDiscGolfer

Name: Patrick Harris
PDGA #:

Postby ash03vic » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 am

I am only designing stuff that can be re-edited for various tournaments, text wise and style (color, b/w, line) wise. It is easier to go from color into b/w, line style than it is to go from b/w and line style into color. I'm doing the full color versions first (for other items to be sold: shirts, water bottles etc...) , then when a couple of designs are voted for, I will be able to convert them into b/w or line style for foil stamps on discs. Keep that in mind.

Also, I'd need you guys to post the ACCURATE text needed for each disc, the World Championship, MCC Fall Classic, etc etc... so that I'd have the correct/specific text needed for the discs to be sold at each event. The first design is just the beginning/sneak preview of what is to come! :D

I need more ideas from you guys, bounce it off my brain...
I'm trying to keep the theme gender-friendly so that discs, shirts and propaganda can be bought by EVERYONE. Someone suggested Lilacs since Rochester does have the Lilac festival and such... but I was thinking... most players in disc golf are men.... do you really want to buy an item with lilacs on them?? What other "small" things make Monroe/Rochester well known in Upstate, NY? (please don't say the hots..... it's too complex and would make people go "wtf" when they see a disc with weird squiggles, a hot dog and some macaroni cheese.... like someone stamped 200 of these while they tripped on acid).
Last edited by ash03vic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ash03vic

PDGA #:

other ideas..... let me know

Postby ash03vic » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:41 am

I was thinking of what kind of items that will be sold along with the designed discs at WORLDS and other events so I could design a better logo that will be easily incorporated within.

button pins
bumperstickers/window clings
calendars
keyrings
magnets
mousepads
mugs
shirts (and little kids shirts for those who have kids/babies)
coasters
bottle cozies
license plate frames
grocery/tote bags
water bottles

These are the items that are efficient enough to be conversation starters that may recruit new players into GRDGC.

Just a few ideas....
ash03vic

PDGA #:

Postby lankylefty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 am

Dave Thomas wrote:We could also use one or two for the MCC Fall Classic on Alumni Weekend! Check the MCC website for dates or get a hold of Jeff Parrinello,Intramural Director.....thx,dt

shameless plug...i think the worlds is a tad more important
lankylefty

Name: Mark McGarity
PDGA #:

Postby brianthannan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 am

There's lots of time to do all of this!
Brian T. Hannan
brianthannan

Name: Brian Hannan
PDGA #:

Postby walker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:19 pm

what if somebody just took a pic of a garbage plate and supercolored it right on to a disc? Other Rochester themes... the skyline, flower city, Roc City (would go great on a Roc), Kodak, the lake effect, that big ol' club logo in the corner up there. Are any of these useful?
walker pdga #35267
walker

PDGA #:

Postby walker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm

I like that idea. I was thinking that we should put together a sponsor 'press kit' for lack of a better term. A few pages explaining who we are, what we do, and the benefits of sponsorship, i.e. what they will get. We could include an example of what a disc might look like.
walker pdga #35267
walker

PDGA #:

Postby ash03vic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Yeah, I was going to ask you guys about sponsors... cause you really can't use any major logos, even if Rochester is well known for the birthplace of Kodak and a few other companies.... so it would be best to ask these companies for sponsorship/approval of the use of their logos on the discs.
ash03vic

PDGA #:

Postby gator » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:13 pm

This symbol for Rochester is something that would deffinetly look cool on a disc and could easily be edited to look a little sharper for our needs.
gator

Next

Return to 2011 AM Worlds