GRDGC Doubles

Sat

8:00a

Gonzo Doubles

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Disc-Clock Design for Worlds

About the 2011 PDGA Amateur World Championships!

Disc-Clock Design for Worlds

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:10 am

Hello all, this is probably the first of many posts regarding things to be done for the worlds. I am in need of a logo for the AM Worlds. Millenium Discs has offered us a $1000 sponsorship. To put this money at its best earning potential, a plan has been developed. Jamie H. made a couple disc clocks this year with some of our old club plastic and they look sweet. i will be able to get 200 stamped discs from Millenium with that $1000 and I am looking for a logo to be stamped on the disc, understanding that the disc will have a small hole in the center for the clock machanism and will have the small and large clock hands. One thought is to put numbers of the clock in the logo. We also need in the logo something about the 2011 AM Worlds and Rochester / the club. I want this disc to look like a clock --not too loud and not too full, maybe some type of circular simple design around the middle. One thought was to use letters instead of the traditional numbers - letters - ROCHESTERNY which is 11 and then 2011 as the 12th number. We are going to number these discs 1 thru 200 and we will use them over the next 4 years in raffles, maybe on ebay, hoping to get at least $25 per clock disc. So hopefully, Our $1000 sponsorship will turn into a $5000 sponsorship by the time the 20111 Am Worlds is here. I dont have a specific prize for the contest but I am open to suggestions. your design if used will obviously be recognized and promoted over the next 4 years. Thanks for your help and I look forward to any suggestions and help.
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

First attempt

Postby rkundrata » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:55 am

Threw something togther.. didn't bother with colors or anything, just trying to see what your after

Are you hotstamping? so one color. or color printing. Too busy? I can play wth whatever you want.

I'm guessing your hot stamping using older disc so design would need to be switched to single color, but I'll wait to see if I'm even on the right track.
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby Bryon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:46 pm

My personal feeling (which may be in the minority) is that if we want a Disc/Clock that people will want to buy, the word "ROCHESTER" should not be the primary word on the Disc.

Although we are proud to be the host, I believe people from other area's/states would be more apt to purchase/want one if maybe "2011 AM WORLDS" was the primary wording (or something else) and not "ROCHESTER"

But I do like the stamp! Great job!

Just one person's opinion.

Bryon
Bryon

Name: Bryon LaChance
PDGA #:

Postby PEneoark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:31 pm

I think I would agree with you on that one Bryon
PEneoark

Name: Andrew Bower
PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:24 pm

I also agree, just was trying to put a face on what Tony was describing.. Once I know exactly what process we are doing I'll play around with some other ideas and post them, but it makes quite a difference so I won't waste any time developing something useless.

First idea was to have the numbers be the start of chains looking down at a basket from directly above, but in the sketches it was hard to tell what they were.. backing out a little bit so you could also see the basket below, and a disc hitting the chains was better, and the disc gave room to write AM Worlds on, but was rather small in proportion.

But I'll come up with more if needed, I enjoy fiddling with this stuff and trying to make logos and such, so its all fun :)
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:38 am

Very cool idea----I like the general concept----as far as the stamp---I expect to be done as a hot-stamp from Millenium----dont thinkthey have a full color option like Discraft or Innova---so it will be a 1 color foil stamp---and they obviously can use different color foils. We can certainly use the traditional numbers on the face of the clock, but finding a cool alternative to the numbeers - but at the same time, people need to know that the letters or numbers are a clock face. Wish I could desribe more---guess I will know when I see it---lol
Tony Inzana

Postby Tony Inzana » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:41 am

I really do like the logo--I think the letters need to be smaller - but I really like the fact that N from New and K from York are the 5 and 7 o'clock and the 2011 is the 6 o'clock
Tony Inzana

Postby forehand ftw » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:12 pm

Is it in Rochester, or is it all of Monroe County?
forehand ftw

PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 am

See if this is any better, switched to single color (left beveling effect on, but stamps tend to give a little effect so I thought it fit)

Shrunk Rochester, reversed Wolrd Am to AM Worlds.

Put on outer ring going through 'rochester' if actually done might have to add spaces around letters

I put a little more time into instead of the quicky above, i think it has a good overall feel and the lettering is more balanced.
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 am

I really like the changes --------I think its very close to what we are looking for---anyone else have an opinion? Yes it is Monroe County but we are going to be using Rochester as our place or destination for the Worlds---There is a lot of history with Rochster--and people wouldn't have a clue if it said Monroe County.
Tony Inzana

Postby Tony Inzana » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 am

I do like the beveling effect---any chance you can get rid of the line thru the letters but leave the one just underneath them? I would like to see that option. I s everyone comfortable with it saying just AM Worlds or should we try to squeeze in all the wording ( Amateur & Junior World Championships)????? I think that thats too much wording and everyone knows what the AM WORLDS is - -IMO
Tony Inzana

Postby PEneoark » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 am

AM WORLDS sounds fine to me
PEneoark

Name: Andrew Bower
PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 pm

I'll put a couple variations together, one without outer circle/line that goes through letters (the spacing to 'New York will not be balanced then so I'll extend the inner line on the bottom and use the same bottom as the outerline), one with breaks in the outer line so it gives the letters a little space. likely can do it tomorrow morning. Want to see it in any different colors?
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:59 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ok, I found a little time and payed with the variations. Here's the changes:
Image 1- Dropped the outer circle
Image 2- Kept the outer circle but inserted spaces for lettering
Image 3- Outer circle dropped but lower bottom edge to that of outer circle
Image 4- Same as 3 but moved basket and wording to fit extra space
Image 5- Dropped the beveling as it might not have realistic hotstamping look, simulated rainbow foil stamp
Image 6- Again beveling gone, but changed disc and foil color to give different perspective
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Well, it just keeps getting better and better - I actually think I like the last one--not necessarily the color--but the lines---not sure about where AM Worlds should be---on the fence right now---but definitely looking good. I do like the beveled edge---would want to show that to Millenium and see what they think. Any chance you can email me a couple of these to my home email? drdiscs2001@yahoo.com

I am going for LASIK eye surgery in an hour - HOOOORRAYYYYYYY

I probably wont be on the compluter for a day or 2 but I will check back ASAP. Thanks again for your help
Tony Inzana

Postby gostt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Here are a couple of ideas I had. FYI, these are very rough drafts that I threw together in 20-25 minutes just to see what it would look like.
gostt

Name: Tim
PDGA #:

Postby gostt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:04 pm

I guess it'd help if I read what the logo was for, I didn't realize it was for a disc clock. Here's a design with some numbers:

gostt

PDGA #:

Postby D_Hastings » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:50 pm

the main selling discs for milwaukee 2007 said 2007 PDGA Amateur Disc golf World Championships then they had their logo on them. they also had other that had diff designs and different wording. but the most popular were basic design on various discraft plastic. just so you know what previous years have come up with.
Grip'nRip Discs
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 723&v=wall

ACERUNdg.com! check it!
D_Hastings

Name: Dan Hastings
PDGA #:

Postby Bryon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 pm

I like the concept of those last two for clocks.

Also..Having numbers stamped on are not necessary since the numbers can be bought/glued on the Discs like Jamie has been doing.

Having a Disc with non-numbers allows for it to sell as clock and as a Disc itself without the modification.
Bryon

Name: Bryon LaChance
PDGA #:

Hey!

Postby Dave Thomas » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:34 pm

They all look terrific! Make a whole bunch of different ones! I guarantee you that they will ALL sell! "AMs" always buy "stuff"! You also might want to have T-Shirts made......we sold out 150 T-Shirts & 150 discs in '99........and that was for the "PRO" Worlds!!! They usually do not buy a lot,however,for tis one they did and there were approx. 350 players back then....."Make 'Em & They WILL Buy"!
PS...........we also sold 50 hats......
Dave
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:23 am

Excellent stuff guys

#1 - I figure that we are going to need somewhere around 8 different logos for the AM Worlds discs by the time the Worlds rolls around. So I will be interested in all sorts of unique designs. I do love the downtown landscape design ( We should also consider something revolving around Kodak - for 1 of the designs)

This 1st logo is to be used just as a clock - Bryon, I know Jamie can glue the numbers, but they can fall off and he could produce the 200 clocks much faster and cheaper if we put the numbers/letters on the stamp itself---that also allows us to use any style disc for the clock instead of trying to find a flat-top roc type of disc so that the numbers can be affixed to the disc-----There will only be 200 of these and I do not plan on having this logo on a normal disc---which will make it more of a collectors item.

Ok ---thats it for now--eyes are freaking out--oh BTW---I CAN SEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went for my follow up appt today--my vision is 20/12.5 unreal
Tony Inzana

Postby rkundrata » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 am

I like those gost1, I had thought of the skyline, but wasn't sure how thick areas of color would work with hotstamp.
I've been searching for some decent resolution of the rochester seal, but cannnot find one suitable.

Here is one skyline I've been working on.

I'm glad you can see Tony! I didn't email the images since gost1's went up. but if your needing several then I can send them to you, or give you the link to the photobucket account where they are being stored so you can take whatever ones you want.
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:39 am

By the way Tony, I am going to try and see if I can color fill a disc with my laser engraver, I'm just looking for a supplier of the vinyl. If it works I could potentially be able to multi color a disc.

Since the laser will slightly melt into the disc, I'm not sure if they would be legal to throw in competition, but would make nice clocks, but such a light engraving might be legal. definitely get deeper cuts into plastic by hitting trees

..or at least that's what I've heard, I haven't had the pleasure of hitting a tree :)
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby gostt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:16 pm

I like that last one.. maybe lose "Got Chain?" and move the basket and Rochester, NY up into the empty spot?
gostt

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:17 pm

I really like the bsket and Roch, NY in the skyline---makes the disc less busy---these ideas are great---if I get a couple images on my email from both you guys---I can forward them to Millenium and they can comment and critic them, since they know what looks good when its stamped----Thanks again---we are getting closer
Tony Inzana

Postby rkundrata » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:17 pm

You don't like my corny lines :) Guess I better not post the 'just ace it' version.

I'll email some to you when I get a chance Tony, likely tomorrow as I'm off to work now and I'll need to do a little bit of resizing to the originals before I send them to you.
rkundrata

PDGA #:

Postby forehand ftw » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Its all in vector so I can make it as big as you want. Let me know if you need anything else, I'm thinking about putting in a disc somewhere, but I don't know how :\ . Also, the basket is kinda rough, that will be fixed soon, and the courses can obviously be changed whenever the final schedule is figured out.
forehand ftw

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 am

Steve----I think you captured a great idea for one of our 1st Am Worlds Discs - that wont work for the clock because the clock parts will interfere with that logo, but I think it will look great on a disc-----I have to give you the details on the courses we are using ( not Sawyer, probably not Sweden) and we need to add a couple - but great start on a design.
Tony Inzana

Just an idea

Postby Chris F » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:12 am

This might be lame I dunno but what if you shrank all that to the middle and if were using four courses use the course names for 12,3,6.and 9. you know it could be like quater to chili or something. Like i said just a thought,the one looks real good though!
Remember show the course love and it will show you love!
Chris F

Name: Chris Funston
PDGA #:

Postby rkundrata » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 pm

I like it for a disc, very .. tournamenty

Was just playing around some more, was able to get a better skyline which at least has the new bridge and better detail

rkundrata

PDGA #:

Next

Return to 2011 AM Worlds