GRDGC Doubles

Sat

8:00a

Gonzo Doubles

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

40th Annual RFDO - PDGA National Tour Event

The 40th Anniversary of the Rochester Flying Disc Open (RFDO)

Re: 40th Annual RFDO -- National Tour Event

Postby Macer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:32 am

A question for us coming from afar...is there any talk of a host hotel or special rates being offered? The last time I attended the RFDO in 2012 there were some special rates arranged.
Macer

Name: Josh Mace
PDGA #: 44997

Postby TCampbell » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:31 am

Last I knew, Yes, but can't remember the details.

Tony ??? Gene ????
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby direwolf9 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:26 pm

I believe that the host hotel is the Holiday Inn on Brooks Ave by the airport. There is a special rate, though I don't know what it is. Also, I was told that that rate can be acquired through the summer if you want to come before the tournament to check out the courses beforehand
direwolf9

Name: John Walsh
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:35 am

Yes, \we do have a rate worked out with the Rochester Airport Holiday Inn (911 Brooks Ave.)
(http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us ... oteldetail)
It is $89/night until the end of the NT event...so the rate is available all Summer long.

Anybody can use it as long as they state that they are requesting the Rochester Disc Golf Club rate.

Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Jul 9, 2014 9:50 pm

Big news for the amateur side of the RFDO !!! We have schedule AND course changes !!! Due to a conflict with the Iceplex, we will no longer be using MCC for the event. Instead, it is my pleasure to announce that we will be playing 1 round at our newly redesigned Ellison Park !!! The final 9 will be at Chili instead of MCC. We have 65 players registered with just over 2 weeks of online registration left. Please sign up ASAP, especially if you want a specific t-shirt size as I am taking custom sizes until 2 weeks before the event and then it's picking a size that is available instead of the size you want. So please go to discgolfscene.com and register or to check out the changes in the schedule.
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby Cfrank » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

We are
Cfrank

Name: Chris
PDGA #:

Postby chiefstang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Temp layout for the final 9?

Not that I'll be playing then, but.....
Still rockin' my green shirt!
chiefstang

Name: Sean Lewis
PDGA #: 48561

Postby TBayer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 pm

YEAH!!!!

My opinion has always been that Parma, Chili, Basil or Ellison would each provide a better showing for the National Tour Event than MCC. Ellison has a special place in my heart as it is where I learned to play and is my home course, but I would have been just as pleased had Basil been chosen over MCC.

I believe that the course change will make for a better, more enjoyable tournament. Full disclosure; Just like those of you for whom Chili and Parma are your home course, I certainly appreciate that my home course is now in the mix.
TBayer

Name: Tim Bayer
PDGA #: 65035

Postby Cfrank » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 am

I'm curious of the rules that apply since this is a NT event. its my understanding that

1. No T-shirts. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed

2. it appears everyone in the tournament needs to pass the PDGA Certified Officials Exam as its an NT event ?

If these 2 statements are true this should probably be included in the event info.

Please advise
Cfrank

PDGA #:

Postby Timeetyo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Cfrank wrote:I'm curious of the rules that apply since this is a NT event. its my understanding that

1. No T-shirts. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed

2. it appears everyone in the tournament needs to pass the PDGA Certified Officials Exam as its an NT event ?

If these 2 statements are true this should probably be included in the event info.

Please advise

Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't this for the pro side only as the am side is a separate A tier event?
Timeetyo

Name: Tim Uderitz
PDGA #: 67340

Postby TCampbell » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Last time I checked*, those rules applied for A-tiers as well.

*sometime around 2011.
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby Timeetyo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm

TCampbell wrote:Last time I checked*, those rules applied for A-tiers as well.

*sometime around 2011.

**Note** I don't care either way - just curious and the clarification would be helpful for all.

Current rules below. I guess the clarification would be whether the am side A tier is considered a "major event"

A.All violations of the Dress Code Policy shall be considered a Courtesy Violation under Section 801.04 of the PDGA Official Rules of Play.

B.All competitors and staff are required to wear a shirt.

C.All competitors and staff are required to wear shoes or other foot coverings. Players will not be allowed to play in bare feet. Sandals or slides are allowed.

D.The following dress code for all competitors will be enforced at all PDGA Elite Series/ National Tour and Major Events. The PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced at Super Tour and lower tier events, but this decision lies solely with the Tournament Director:

1.All players in PDGA sanctioned competition and tournament staff are expected to dress appropriately and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance at all event sites and associated functions.

2.All players must wear a shirt covering their upper chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a collar and sleeves covering the upper arm shall be considered acceptable. Tank tops are not allowed for any competitor, but women may wear sleeveless shirts with collars.

a.Women may also wear well-tailored one-piece tennis dresses with minimum 1 inch wide shoulder straps. (added 12/17/2013)

3.No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or v-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

4.Shirts that hang down lower than the bottom hemline on the player's shorts shall be tucked in.

5.No ripped shirts, shorts, or pants will be allowed on the course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut "vents" at the shirt collar.

6.No offensive, profane, or obscene slogans or logos shall be allowed on any clothing. Junior players may not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.

7.This dress code will be in effect from start to finish at each event, including all tournament rounds.

8.Players who do not make a cut, but wish to remain on site through the duration of the tournament, will be considered spectators and will not be required to conform to the Tour's dress code.
Timeetyo

Postby Tony Inzana » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:48 pm

An A-tier which is what the amateur side of the RFDO is ---- does not require you to be a certified official. You do need to be a certified official for the NT event.

For both events, you must be an active PDGA member

As far as the dress code, I do not feel that tank tops are ever appropriate in a sanctioned event. Just dress neatly and wear clothes that aren't full of holes for the amateur side. For the Pro side, the dress will be in effect, but most players nowadays take pride in how they look compared to 10 or 15 years ago.
Tony Inzana

Postby Timeetyo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Tony Inzana wrote:An A-tier which is what the amateur side of the RFDO is ---- does not require you to be a certified official. You do need to be a certified official for the NT event.

For both events, you must be an active PDGA member

As far as the dress code, I do not feel that tank tops are ever appropriate in a sanctioned event. Just dress neatly and wear clothes that aren't full of holes for the amateur side. For the Pro side, the dress will be in effect, but most players nowadays take pride in how they look compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

Thanks Tony!
Timeetyo

Postby chiefstang » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm

I thought you guys looked your best in the 70s with the half shirts and short shorts.
Still rockin' my green shirt!
chiefstang

Name: Sean Lewis
PDGA #: 48561

Postby Beamer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 am

chiefstang wrote:I thought you guys looked your best in the 70s with the half shirts and short shorts.

/LIKE :lol: :clap:
PDGA# 51672
Beamer

Name: Tim Beam
PDGA #:

Postby ELItheICEman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Is anyone planning an effort to record some/all of this tournament? If so, I'm willing to play a part in it.
ELItheICEman

PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 am

Hi Chris,
We know that DiscGolfPlanet will be here for the NT to livestream rounds onto the internet. I plan to take pictures throughout it all.
Some club members have said they would be interested in setting up their video cameras (GoPros) to shot some footage as well.
Send me an email (gene.beaumont @ grdgc.org) and let me know how you would like to help and your availability.

Thanks,
Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Re: 40th Annual RFDO - PDGA National Tour Event

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

I'd like to fly the quadcopter around to get some video. I don't think I'll be able to fly it during a live round because I'm sure it can be distracting.
Tony/Gene, I'd like your input on the usage of it or if you have anything in particular that you think would be cool to have an aerial perspective of.
Andy

Name: Andy Dorofy
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 am

Hey Andy
I think it would be great to see a fly-by for every hole..like you would see watching a PGA event on TV...it would almost be a "disc-eye" view.
Perhaps the shots can be stitched together for a 3-4 minute video to be posted.
Each clip would be a static shot form the tee with a graphic over it with the Hole # and distance - not much different than the videos you guys shot before.

Not sure how much quad-copter use could take place during the NT but I would like to gather our own ground footage that somebody can piece together afterwards.

Perhaps the quad-copter could capture some great shots at the player's party during the various events...an overhead view of a "ring of fire" could be pretty interesting.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 am

Good ideas Gene --- I don't think we can or should use the drone during the actual tournament play -- but I certainly think the 4 min video with overhead footage of each hole could spark some interest and draw some attention. We could get it posted on our social media connections and possibly on the PDGA site
Tony Inzana

Postby ELItheICEman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Quadcopter footage would best be done in advance - maybe two weeks or so, to ensure the weather cooperates long enough to get the footage.

Andy, let me know if there's anything I can do to help, whether it's reviewing footage or brainstorming strategies for capturing the real essence of each hole with the copter. I'm also able to bring my camera (SLR) for stills and secondary footage, if needed.
ELItheICEman

PDGA #:

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 am

Good stuff. When the rain goes away I'll get to some courses for some fly-overs.
Tony good idea on the ring of fire, that would look cool.

Chris a second set of eyes is always a good thing especially when flying that thing, and extra footage is always good. We can work something out for sure.
Andy

Name: Andy Dorofy
PDGA #:

Postby KyleG » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:08 pm

Hey Tony, do you know how the pro's typically handle there scheduling leading into a tournament? I'd like to assume that they arrive in town ahead of time to familiarize themselves with the planned courses. I tend to play most at Parma, so I guess the fanboy in me is wondering if I might cross paths with one of them while out throwing.
KyleG

Name: Kyle Gurnett
PDGA #:

Postby PL08 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:23 am

Hey Kyle,

Lot of these guys will be in town ahead of time. Couple years ago when we had the A-tier a bunch of the touring pros came out to doubles and singles nights so expect them here early and definitely come out to leagues!

Enjoy,

Peter
PL08

Name: Peter Lunstead
PDGA #: 48755

Postby KyleG » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:57 am

Well I guess another question would be, do they plan to shut down the scheduled courses the day prior to the tournament for final preparations?
KyleG

Name: Kyle Gurnett
PDGA #:

Postby PL08 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:11 am

We will not be shutting down any courses prior to the tournament. Preparations are going on throughout the week and courses are open for play!

This Friday we will be having a doubles event at Ellison starting at 5:45pm. 4:30-5:30 all players in the RFDO can even register and pick up their player packs!

All are welcome even if you are not playing in the RFDO.
PL08

Postby Seebs999 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Is there going to be a doubles event on the Wednesday before pro weekend? I thought I saw something about it with more details but now there's nothing I can find about it. Thanks
Seebs999

Name: Kyle Sebert
PDGA #: 63728

Postby Brownguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Holy Crap Kim Scott Wood and Mike Sullivan coming out of the past to play. Team Canada is representing strong!
The difference between stupidity and genius is stupidity has no lmits
Brownguy

Name: Bobby Jones
PDGA #:

Postby PL08 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Hey Kyle,

Right now we have our Tuesday Doubles League. There's talk of something happening Wednesday too.

Stay Tuned!

Peter
PL08

PreviousNext

Return to Prodigy Disc presents the 40th Rochester Flying Disc Open