Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

2014 Trilogy Challenge on 6/28 @ Chili!

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

2014 Trilogy Challenge on 6/28 @ Chili!

Postby reksav » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm

We've all played the Ace Race, we know how it works... This event is a little different, you play an entire round, not just take 1 shot and walk on. You play 2 rounds actually, with 3 unreleased brand new discs from the Trilogy (Latitude 64, Westside Discs, Dynamic Discs). The players pack doesn't end there though, they get you some extra shwag as well, a mini, some stickers, a lanyard, bag tag, and a koozie. Everything you'd need to play a round, even if you've never played before! If that's not enough, the winner gets 3 discs from each company in the Trilogy, a bag from Dynamic Discs, and a hand full of other shwag. There will be CTPs, an ace pool is included, and I promise a great time for all!

It will be held at Chili with a tee off of 9:30 on June 28th. I'll be there around 8am to start setting up and passing out player packs.

It's $30 to enter and you can register either in person with me or via Disc Golf Scene. (http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Trilogy_Challenge_2014)

So, who's going?

reksav

Name: Derek Savory
PDGA #:

Re: 2014 Trilogy Challenge on 6/28 @ Chili!

Postby mcicotta » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

MEEEE
mcicotta

Name: mike
PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 am

This is going to be a blast.!!!
Love me some Trilogy plastic. :thumbup:
krohn29

Name: Jason Krohn
PDGA #: 47440

Postby jarason » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:59 am

So many Aces so little time!
jarason

Name: Jason Wolck
PDGA #:

Postby JBC » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:30 pm

In
JBC

Name: Justin Caddick
PDGA #:

Postby zog9605 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 am

gonna try and get the day off!!!
Go Big or Stay Home....its disc golf for cripes sake!
zog9605

Name: Mike Herzog
PDGA #:

Postby FishyMack » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Will there be a separate Pro and Am?
FishyMack

Name: Alan Mack
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm

It will be 1 large field, the players pack is worth well over the entry (over $50), the winner pack is just a bonus.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby ratt@tat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 am

I'm in - please sign me up. I would prefer to give the 30 dollars to you Derek or even Jason (im good for it), but let me know if I should just register online. Thanks :)
ratt@tat

Name: rich cooper
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Rich, you can pass it to Jason if that's easiest for you. See ya there!
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 pm

The sign up deadline for this pre-reg only event is June 1st. Don't miss out!
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Flashlite » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Im in, hopefully I will be able to register in time! I hate having a job I miss so many events
Flashlite

Name: Tony Alloco
PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Just a reminder even if you can't play in the event, you can still sign up and get a package.

Most of the discs won't be released till later this yr or into 2015 so this is your chance to get them while you can.

The 3 Trilogy discs are....

Driver - DD - Thief
Mid - Lat64 - Claymore
Putter- Westside - Shield

This will be a fun event and you won't want to miss it.
krohn29

Postby FishyMack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm

No Pro and Am? Don't count me in. I am a Rec player, I cannot compete with Pros. Waste of my time and money.

Alan
FishyMack

Name: Alan Mack
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Alan, this is the same play format as the Ace Race. You're players pack is worth (much) more than the cost of playing and it's for fun. You get 3 unreleased discs that retail at $14.99 ea, a mini that retails for $2.99, a lanyard that retails for $2.00, a bag tag that retails for $1.99, a koozie at $1.99, also a scorecard and pencil at ~$1.50. That's ~$55 worth of merchandise in your players pack for entering an event that costs $30. I'm sorry that you don't feel it's worth your time, but I do feel it's worthwhile if not only for the pack but for the fun of the experience. I do hope you reconsider Alan.

Also, the proceeds from this are going towards recouping the over $400 that Gonzo has already paid out for tournament sponsorship's this season. Without players, that money does not get recouped and that's less money we can put towards future sponsorship's/course projects. Zero profit is made by ANYONE that is Gonzo affiliated, hell if anything we lose quite a few hundred of our own money each year.

So for anybody on the fence about this, it is for a good cause; the courses and tournaments you love. If anybody can't make the event but would still like a players pack, let me know and I'll make sure to get it to you. You'll still have to pre-reg either with me in person, I'll be at Tuesday doubles every week, or online at the link in the original post.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Fishy Mack Daddy Mc. Bite. 8)

No offense but why does everything have to be a pro & am event for you to come out and play. Do you not like to just come out in the great weather throw some discs with your local disc golfer's and have a great time. ?

You do the Ace Race every yr. Well this is the same thing just called Trilogy Challenge.

It not always about getting 1st place or being able to compete with pro's. Some times these events help the disc golf community, and the deal you get on these packages are just insane. Where else can you go and get 3 discs and a bunch of stuff for $30 these days.

How many pro's win the ACE RACE each yr....??? I bet more Am's do each yr then pro's. Its cause they are new discs that no one has thrown so no matter your skill level you all have the same opportunity. ... just think about it.

These event's are more for beginners and suppose to be people friendly. To get people out and have fun and everyone goes home a winner with all the great stuff you get in your package.

No matter if you come or not, its definitely will NOT be a waste of your time or money. :thumbup:
krohn29

Postby TBayer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Clearly more skilled players have a huge advantage over less skilled players. Worth noting is this: Skilled players ALREADY have their bag and their discs. They don't need another bag or more discs. The new player is the person without much equipment, and who has the need.

If you are really interested in a fun outing and getting everyone involved, take the disc golfing skill out of determining the "Winner" of the bonus pack.

Determine the winner by random draw at the end of the day for anyone that is interested in the bonus pack. Pull a random chip - the owner of that number is the winner of the bonus pack.

Come on out and have some fun chucking plastic! I matters not how you played that day, you have the same chance to receive the Bonus Pack as the best golfer.
TBayer

Name: Tim Bayer
PDGA #: 65035

Postby MikeS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45 pm

As has already been explained above, you already get more than you pay for. I see no need to steer this in the way of pandering to anyone too afraid to compete. The people that own bags and discs spent money on their stuff, it wasn't just handed to them. I am below the level of the vast majority of the club and I see no problem in this, as is, with the player pack provided. The new players get better by playing with the pros that are drawn there to win the prize. Just my not so humble opinion. :D
MikeS

Name: Mike Sitts
PDGA #: 63450

Postby TBayer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

As has already been explained above, you already get more than you pay for.

Agreed - It is definitely worth the player pack even if you can't play. Full disclosure, I paid my entry fee weeks ago to get a player pack even if I can't attend that Saturday.

I don't know anything about attendance numbers - I hope it is full (and this discussion is mute). My point, perhaps poorly stated, was this: If the some people are not participating because their only focus is winning the Bonus Pack, and max attendance is the goal, then make the "winning" a random draw to help increase attendance.

For me: I love the challenge of having everyone throwing the same 3 discs. I know this is going to be fun. I am very pleased that the format was changed to 2 rounds instead of just one, and I am eager to fly some new, non-Discraft, non-Inova discs.

See you there!
TBayer

Postby reksav » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am

Tim, I like that idea. I will take it into consideration, along with a separate pack to the winner.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Alright, time to add my 2 cents ----

#1 - I may not be able to attend, but please sign me up for a player pack nevertheless. $30 for all of that merchandise is a great deal whether I play or not.... and most importantly, I am helping to support my fellow club members who are taking a chance financially to run an event here in Rochester for all of us to enjoy. I will be happy to support all of these events and am so pleased to see so much enthusiasm in our club nowadays and hope that it continues, because the GRDGC, in conjunction with Gonzo and the Erie disc golf club, is becoming an awesome club !!! We are building a new course every time I turn around. We are running charity events and women events. We are running major disc golf tournaments as well. This couldn't be done without all of the individuals putting forth extra effort to promote the sport that we all love.

#2 - As far as the prize to the winner -- you may want to split it for the pros and the ams so the ams don't feel that they are at a disadvantage ---- or raffle it off, but --- given people are spending the entire day playing 2 rounds, I think there should be a prize to the winner or winners if you split the divisions. Everyone is getting more merch in the player pack then they are paying for the event, so no one should feel that it's a waste of time. Alan, I respect your opinion, but I have to say that your negativity should be kept to yourself and not on a thread that is positive and supporting the efforts of our fellow club members. If you feel that it's waste of your time and money, then don't participate.

#3 - Being a "Pro" is not what people think, especially the ams. When ams play in a tourny, they all gets player packs and all get something from the event, as they should. Pros put in money, get no player pack, and only 40% get something back at the end. The amount of money that the Pros pay to play is always more then the ams as well, so the pros are taking more of a financial risk when they play events, which is not the case for the ams. In this town, the line between the pros and the advanced players is very close. it's not like we have Ken Climo and John E Mccray here, winning every event. When the pros play singles league, the ams get quite a handicap and it turns out that most of the time, the ams win. The pros don't get discs in player packs. I understand that the pros have disc golf bags and their discs, but that doesn't mean that we don't want more bags and discs, if that is the prize given for an event. We shouldn't get further penalized just because we are playing in a division that typically has more experienced players that are playing at a higher level then the ams.

#4 -- As Tim B. stated regarding new players, these events are great for people of all skill levels to get the chance to play together and enjoy a day throwing discs in the air amongst good people with similar interests. It is not all about the winner, moreso it's about having fun and enjoying life. A little competition is good for all of us, but it's not the only reason to go out and play.
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby MDiRoma » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

That was way more than 2 cents! :clap:
MDiRoma

Name: Mike DiRoma
PDGA #: 56462

Postby TCampbell » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Fun thing is (correct me if I'm wrong) there are no open players signed up yet anyways.
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby Skippy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 am

Also keep in mind that even an am with less experience can take it… it's all chance with these disc no one has thrown. i know its a little different ,but, i did win the 2013 Discraft ace race :crazy: and there was like 110 players pro/am mixed….. i think its fair to say that the title is up for grabs. :winner:

now obviously a brand new rec. player don't have the same chance as an int.or pro, but, i do think that with a little focus, patience and luck any player has a good chance……

i know everyone will have there mixed opinions about this but with me shockingly winning the ace race (not sure i deserved with how crappy my game has been in the last year), i'm standing firm on it's open for grabs and good luck to all of you… and don't forget they call it a challenge for a reason and i'm sure there will be more than one challenge here :thumbup: .
Skippy

Name: Clayton Woodard
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 pm

So here's the deal. After a bit of sitting around, being lazy, thinking about how to make this a bit more interesting and enticing for players, I've changed the format a little. The first round will be a random draw doubles round, with a payout to the winning team. The second round will be singles with a payout to the winner of that round. If you can only play one round that's cool, you can show up in the morning or the afternoon and play for the winners package, completely up to you. To do this, I will be taking the enormously generous pack that Dynamic Discs is supplying and splitting it up. The winning team during the doubles round will be awarded three discs each and the winner of the singles round will get the remainder of the package (3 discs, a bag, and shwag). There is an ACE pool included with the $30 entry and Gonzo/myself will be donating CTPs to both rounds.

This remains a pre-register only event with a deadline of June 1st. You have to pay in advance, I'll be at the upcoming Greater Rochester Girls Gone Gonzo tournament at Chili on May 10th (don't forget to come out and support the Women's Global Event, everyone's welcome!) and the Chili Cookout on May 24th-25th. I'll also be at most Tuesday doubles leagues from now until then, if I'm not there I'm sure you can convince our fearless leader Ryan Hand to accept the money and pass it along my way. If you can't make it day of but would like a players pack just let me know and I'll make sure to hold one for you, keep in mind you still MUST pre-register.

This is going to be an awesome event and I sincerely hope you ALL can make it as all proceeds, as stated before, end up going back to the local courses and tournaments in the Rochester area.

See you on June 28th!
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby MikeS » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
MikeS

Name: Mike Sitts
PDGA #: 63450

Postby reksav » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

One last thing, thank you all for your input! Without it this sport we love has a hard time getting bigger and better! #growthesport
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Skippy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:30 pm

^^ This guy can accommodate for anyone^^ brilliant…... :thumbup:
Skippy

Name: Clayton Woodard
PDGA #:

Postby TBayer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 am

Well done Derek. I really like the doubles then singled format you came up with. I am looking forward to a day of fun!
TBayer

Postby krohn29 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Bump

Not much time left to register for this fun event.
krohn29

Next

Return to Disc Golf Talk