Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

GRDGC Tuesday Doubles League

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

GRDGC Tuesday Doubles League

Postby rhand » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am

This Tuesday (4/22) is the first night of Tuesday Doubles League.

We are at Chili. We will draw at 5:45 and be teeing off at 6p. Ace pool is $152

For anyone interested in doing some course improvement work. I will get there around 4p and start cleaning up the perimeter so we can re-establish all of the perimeter OB lines this year. So if you can come early bring loppers/saws/ect...

Same set up as last year with separate pro/am fields. This is a best shot doubles league, with an emphasis and fun. It is a great venue to learn and improve your game while having a good time.

Hope to see some new faces, last year we averaged around 45-50 players a week so lets see if we can step it up this year!

We will be playing 6 different courses, each one three times

Chili - 4/22, 6/10, 7/29
Parma - 4/29, 6/17, 8/5
Basil - 5/6, 6/24, 8/12
Ellison - 5/13, 7/1, 8/19
MCC - 5/20, 7/8, 8/26
Apple Farm - 5/27, 7/15, 9/2
MCC - 6/3, 7/22, 9/16

Finals Date TBD

For overall points, I will take your best 16 weeks (can drop 5). Finals points will count this year.

Cost breakdown is the same ($10 + optional $1)
$5 - payout
$1 - ace pool
$2 - 50/50 CTP
$1 - year end finals
$1 - GRDGC (this all goes to course improvements)
$1 - optional mulligan (only 1/18 holes)

A few new features are being added this year
1 - Finals will count to your overall points
2 - You must be a current GRDGC member to win the CTP/Ace Pool
3 - We will do a small course project starting around 4p each league night. Anyone doing course work will be eligible for an additional 1-2 CTPs that night.

Thanks and I hope to see a lot of you tomorrow! I will have GRDGC memberships will me.

Ryan
rhand

Name: Ryan Hand
PDGA #: 18846

Re: GRDGC TUESDAY DOUBLES LEAGUE!!!!!!

Postby MDiRoma » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 am

Preface: I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed in a club meeting and I missed it....

Has any consideration been given to how the handicapping for "rec" players will be handled? I.e. I know there were a couple instances last season of "what do you mean I get 5 strokes for being Fred's partner, last week so and so got 7!"...and so on.

Perhaps it could be standardized up front, that way there is no confusion.

The reason I ask is because this will become an increasing problem as these doubles nights grow and more new faces show up.

For instance I have at least 2 coworkers that have started playing, but are apprehensive about league (even though I have stressed that it is ultimately "just for fun"). In a singles round they would shoot high seventies to low eighties and I wasn't sure what to tell them as far as handicapping.

I am not trying to complicate or add additional work to league night. I am just wondering.

Ryan, of course, thank you for all that you do.
MDiRoma

Name: Mike DiRoma
PDGA #: 56462

Re: GRDGC TUESDAY DOUBLES LEAGUE!!!!!!

Postby rhand » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am

Mike - great question about handicapping the rec players. The answer is I have no true system and honestly just wing it.
Last year only junior and ladies got strokes as we have no good alternate tees in place. I think things were pretty fair last year with what they were given based that they didn't cash every week, but were in the mix about 1/2 the time. I would never give anyone 7 strokes (I think the most I did was 4, and by the end they were down to 3 as their skills improved).

I think things evened out, more people moved up to the pro division, creating a little less disparity and the same should happen this year. Things will never be perfect. I don't encourage people to come if they are in it for the money as this isn't that kind of league. This is truly meant to be fun and a learning experience for newer players.

As I'm always looking to improve I'm open to new ideas.

Ryan
rhand

Re: GRDGC Tuesday Doubles League

Postby rhand » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Doubles points are updated. They can be accessed at the top bar under "Leagues." Great turnout last week with 45 players!

This week we are at Parma. We will draw at 5:45 and be teeing off at 6p. This is a rain or shine league, so we will be playing.

I've decided to make a slight change as a result of last week. Prior rules state that you must be a current GRDGC member to win the CTP. I will let non-members win, but this will go towards a basic GRDGC membership (dry fit tee and tag).

See everyone tomorrow.

Ryan
rhand

Postby reksav » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Love it.
reksav

Name: Derek Savory
PDGA #:

Postby rhand » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

We are just about 1/2 way through league. We've all ready have over 100 people come out this year and play! One ace - Tim Bayer last week at parma!

This week we are at Basil. Last time there we had 64 people. I really would like to beat that number. Don't let the weather scare you away.

Hope to see a lot of people out tomorrow!

Ryan
rhand

Postby rhand » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:20 am

We completed our second rotation of the courses this week!

Points are updated! Lots of time to get more or get in the race. I use your top 16 scores to figure out the overall and the year end counts towards that this year.

Only 7 weeks left and we are at Chili this week. I will have an extra merch CTP for everyone (no extra cost) in addition to everything else.

The tentative plan is for the finals to be Oct 25th. All you have to do is play one week to qualify for this event. The cost is $1 for each week you miss. So if you only made one week the cost would be $20. It is 2 rounds at a temporary course in Webster Park with free lunch. All teams get payed out. Last years event was over $2000! This year I'm requiring preregistration with full payment for you to participate. No show up and pay day of. This just makes it much easier and me and helps things run a lot smoother.

Hope to see everyone this Tuesday at Chili!

Ryan
rhand

Return to Disc Golf Talk