2014 New York State Events

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Disc Golf in Local Schools?

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

Disc Golf in Local Schools?

Postby direwolf9 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I know that some schools do it, I am hoping that you guys can lay out which schools off disc golf and at which courses (do any go to actual courses?) for me. I have a friend who works for a local tv news station and he is trying to lobby the other producers to do a segment on disc golf for kids. Names of instructors that he could interview would also be helpful.
direwolf9

Name: John Walsh
PDGA #:

Re: Disc Golf in Local Schools?

Postby vanza » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm

The Greece C.S.D. offers it as part of their curriculum (specifically,Pine Brook School.....Mr.Bill Schumaker..........call him !
Roberts Wesleyan College offered it as a specific class this past Fall,2012 (and will do so again this coming Fall,2013)....MCC teaches it as part of their outdoor ed.
Churchville-Chili received the E.D.G.E. program from Innova a number of years ago and STILL uses it!
Hilton teaches it @ Parma and a certain gentleman gave a clinic to their staff a few years back.........
Dave Tinnes has a DG group of HS students,but I do not know (according to his posts) whether it is part of a curriculum or intramural.......
I am sure that the PE Dept's. of the above schools can direct you to where you need to go..........."v"
vanza

PDGA #:

Postby vanza » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 pm

a "PS".......Chestnut Ridge E.S.(in the Churchville Chili SD) used to take a field trip to Chili DG Course.....(293-1800) Mr.Mike Schluter(sp.) and Mr.Greg Kincaid are the PE instructors there!!!! v
C.C.Middle School (Mrs.Karen Benedict) use the EDGE Program.......
vanza

PDGA #:

Postby Dave T » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

As mentioned in a post, I do run a disc golf club at Wayne Central High School. The P.E. department also has a unit on DG in the elective class "Outdoor Education." That class takes their students to both Ellison & MCC. The Wayne DG Club is starting to get involved in the new course that's going in SOON ( at least the first 9 holes), so that is cool and "news worthy." Also, there is a student senior project that is being run on Sat. April 13th at Wayne. It's a 2 round tourney, and will feature a legitimate 18 hole course that has been designed by two students. Hope to see many folks out there supporting thses two young men that have done a lot of work.
Dave T

Name: David Tinnes
PDGA #:

Postby direwolf9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks for your input guys, I have sent him both of your posts. If anyone else has more info, please keep it coming. I am sure my friend would appreciate as much info as possible.
direwolf9

Name: John Walsh
PDGA #:

Postby Doug Corea » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:03 am

Pittsford Mendon HS has had Disc Golf for about ten years (ttyt), contact Fred Ricci.
Brighton High School for a couple of years, contact Ron Plummer. They both have pop-up portable pole-holes and they set up courses on school grounds. - #304
Doug Corea

Name: Doug Corea
PDGA #:

Return to Disc Golf Talk