2014 New York State Events

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Gonzo Championships Presented by Neighborhood Disc Golf

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

Gonzo Championships Presented by Neighborhood Disc Golf

Postby reksav » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Last edited by reksav on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reksav

Name: Derek Savory
PDGA #:

Re: Gonzo Championships Presented by Neighborhood Disc Golf

Postby bower2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm

I like it Derek! I can't even play in it or league! the police academy has all my saturdays booked! So i'm doing winter league, surprise, ice bowl and my birdie bash! and thats all besides just normal everyday playing
Eddie Bower

Throw 'em straight
bower2

Name: Eddie Bower
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Well done guys !!! :clap:
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby ronbo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Don't we already have enough doubles? Winter league, Tuesdays, and Saturday league. If there's going to be an all season series, singles all the way through would be best. Bring your own partner is just going to get complicated with people not finding partners and having to choose between partners. If this is a championship series with over all winners at the end, it should only be competitive singles. What if I can't find a partner or the person I wanted to pair with can't attend etc. I would rather just worry about my self and not how my partner is going to shoot or if they can even come.
ronbo

Name: Ron Arena
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Ron, my thought behind this was that since this is a championship series, doubles and singles are such different games that are played with different strategies and both should be included. Do we have enough options for doubles? Sure. But does everybody play in all of them? Nope, that's why all the options are there.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 am

But what if someone wants to play but can't get a partner? or your partner bails on you a day before? Now it's out of your hands for how you finish, well 50% out of your hands. Instead of just having singles where anybody who wants to play, can? I'm sure both your goals are to get as many people to participate in as many events as possible. I think the amount of people that won't play b/c it's doubles will outweigh those who wouldn't play cause it's singles. With anything worth a decent amount of money and a season long schedule, you shouldn't have to worry about what someone else shoots.
ronbo

PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Just my 2cents, but if you chose a partner and he or she does not come or changes there mind the day before then you probably did not pick a good partner. Personally you know who will go to leagues and who is committed to disc golf week in and out so with them posting the schedule now you have plenty of time to find a partner. I know i will be going to all these events and i like the mix up of dubs and singles, I even have a partner already for one of the dubs. Early bird gets the worm, less worry about who will get who, Ron with the skill level you have you should not have any problem getting a partner especially with your skill or more advance.

When have you done anything like this before, either its always singles or doubles but with the new yr i see Derek trying to bring new things to the sport. :clap: So we got a little bit of everything in one sweet events over a few months.
krohn29

Name: Jason Krohn
PDGA #: 47440

Postby Neighborhood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Good points Jason, although it could be more difficult for Ron to pick a partner. Personally I don't know who I want as a partner or if any of them will even want to be my partner and I have a handful of people to choose from. I see his points on how singles is straight forward and less trouble.

I ran a pick your own partner tournament at basil last November and there was issues with picking partners for some people in every division. Many ppl in rec and intermediate didn't come with partners to the one I ran at basil, other issues were there wasn't enough pro players so Sean, Andy, and I moved up to pro to make even amounts of teams. With these tournaments there will be no moving around in divisions. Which ever division you pick you play all the way through. with 3 months until the first doubles tourney of this series hopefully ppl can work it out and find partners.
Neighborhood

Name: Ryan
PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Things come up and shit happens. If i have a partner that has no choice but to bail on the event, now i'm screwed over for season point totals? Having to worry about divisions and partners and who can play in this or that only complicates things. KISS usually works in any aspect of life, and in my opinion singles allows everyone to play without stipulations. it is phenomenal that these sort of things are being added to our WNY disc golf scene and you guys rock for putting it together.
ronbo

PDGA #:

Postby Neighborhood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

ronbo wrote:Things come up and shit happens. If i have a partner that has no choice but to bail on the event, now i'm screwed over for season point totals? Having to worry about divisions and partners and who can play in this or that only complicates things. KISS usually works in any aspect of life, and in my opinion singles allows everyone to play without stipulations. it is phenomenal that these sort of things are being added to our WNY disc golf scene and you guys rock for putting it together.

If your partner bails or get's sick etc, I don't know what you would do. This is a problem that I agree with for the doubles tournaments. You would have to last minute find a partner which would be difficult to do playing in advanced or pro division. Derek and I will talk more on the format and see what will happen if this situation occurs. Personally I don't want anyone being a "mully man" because you do have an advantage being one. Look at how good Bobby does when he is (but then again he always does good), or the time my friend Ted was one at parma and shot -8 being a mully man. It's easier to correct your second throw then it is for two players to throw once each to get the lower score.
Neighborhood

PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Alright, I mean like i said i appreciate you guys doing this and it's beyond cool. Clearly you know where I stand, not sure about anyone else. Just want the Roc to stay on top for events that everyone wants to come to and compete in.
ronbo

PDGA #:

Postby Mee » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm

I totally love this idea of multiple unsanctioned events leading up to a sanctioned tourney with a points series. However I am not really enthused by the doubles aspect of it. Doubles just seems like a casual, relax, social kind of way to play disc golf. I think it would be great if this series was more of a competitive event all summer long, leading up to the B-tier tourney.
Mee

Name: Me
PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

^^^^^^^ It will be a competitive event all summer long its called Gonzo Summer league, every Saturday, and one week out of every month instead of doubles league you will attend the Gonzo series event instead. So as long as you come out to the Summer league then it will be a all summer long of competition and fun.
krohn29

Postby direwolf9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 am

Mee wrote:I totally love this idea of multiple unsanctioned events leading up to a sanctioned tourney with a points series. However I am not really enthused by the doubles aspect of it. Doubles just seems like a casual, relax, social kind of way to play disc golf. I think it would be great if this series was more of a competitive event all summer long, leading up to the B-tier tourney.

I think that doubles can be quite competitive if you allow it to be. Come with a partner who is equally serious about playing to win, I don't see how that does not end up in good competition. I think that it adds some interesting variety in the style of play, as Derek said earlier in the thread. Looking forward to these events!
direwolf9

Name: John Walsh
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Just a heads up, the flier has been updated to reflect the date changes for the B-Tier and the Invitational. The changes were made to avoid conflict with other local/heavily attended events that we were not aware of before.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Jtwist76 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:43 pm

I see where both sides stand...I for one would love to participate and look forward to the events. For me it will be difficult to find a partner due to the fact that im new to the sport and the disc golf community. Hopefully things change but i can see the conflict here. The only reason i play winter league is because its random draw. At least i know then that i can participate. Im just glad youre doing the events either way :) COOL.
Jtwist76

Name: Jon
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 pm

The doubles format will stand. If you or anyone is having a hard time finding a partner, post here, I'm sure someone else will need one!
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Nived » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Jtwist76 wrote:I see where both sides stand...I for one would love to participate and look forward to the events. For me it will be difficult to find a partner due to the fact that im new to the sport and the disc golf community. Hopefully things change but i can see the conflict here. The only reason i play winter league is because its random draw. At least i know then that i can participate. Im just glad youre doing the events either way :) COOL.

Maybe you and I could be partners. I'm probably about the same skill level. We probably won't be too competitive, even in the AM division, but I sometime attend events like this just to participate and have fun.
Nived

Name: Devin Woodward
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Just my 2 cents.... as I also have struggled with the format until now...

#1 - Hats off to Ryan and Derek for taking this on.

#2 - I am a purist and tend to consider singles more skill and more deserving of a series versus doubles, but the combination of singles and doubles events is an interesting one.

#3 - I think having doubles in the series will attract more participants overall and that is a great thing.

#3 - Some people will attend all of the events, therefore being able to drop one.... If I had to choose, I would try to skip a doubles event or drop a doubles event... just IMO

#4 - Several good things about doubles in the series... You must find a partner to play with with makes one more social and adds a different component to each own's competitive game. All experiences are good in building one's tournament game.... It will force an individual to be proficient in singles play and doubles play in order to succeed....

#5 - Derek said it the best --- finding a partner by posting a thread.... it will ultimately promote conversations amongst club members and will help to unify the club a bit.... You have to pick a different partner for each one, which can seem a little unfair and difficult.... but I think it's a good thing and I am excited that members of our club have come with this, especially for those that do not travel much for tourny's

#6 - We have added a number of quality events at different Rochester courses throughout the year. People can come to just one or they can go to them all. It's great to see so many local events this year. I am also glad that we have a few non-sanctioned events this year. Not everyone wants to join the PDGA or pay an extra 10 bucks if they aren't a member. This takes some of the pressure off of new people and will promote more rec players which will ultimately grow the sport and grow the club

#7 - Ron Arena.... I will be your partner for the 1st doubles if ya want me :D
Tony Inzana

Postby Jtwist76 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

Hey man thanks for the offer...Im down to play with anyone...I just love getting out there and throwing. Cant hurt but make me a better player.
Jtwist76

Name: Jon
PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

Hey Tony, I'm down but how are the divisions handled? If it's a series long summer with a B-tier in there, I'm going to play advanced the entire time. Derrick or Ryan, how are the points determined for the ever so easy doubles that you guys have a hard on for? I'm assuming you would need to partner with someone from the same division?
ronbo

PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm

ronbo wrote:Hey Tony, I'm down but how are the divisions handled? If it's a series long summer with a B-tier in there, I'm going to play advanced the entire time. Derrick or Ryan, how are the points determined for the ever so easy doubles that you guys have a hard on for? I'm assuming you would need to partner with someone from the same division?

Ron, I'd prefer that, however this could cause some problems. So Ryan and I are going to have to talk more and run some scenarios out to see if for doubles events we could allow people to play up a division (never down). I'll get back to you on that sir. Also, don't think that the doubles will be easy, we've got plans to rectify that.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 am

Geez Ron, I thought you were gonna be a pro this year.... maybe next year ya bagger... :D

IMO -- people need to play in their division for the whole series including doubles, otherwise it will get way too confusing for the series
Tony Inzana

Postby reksav » Fri Feb 1, 2013 9:24 pm

Tony Inzana wrote:IMO -- people need to play in their division for the whole series including doubles, otherwise it will get way too confusing for the series

Confirmed. You will play in 1 division the entire series.
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Mon Mar 4, 2013 8:36 pm

Just a heads up for those interested... Fundraiser discs just arrived today from Discraft!

Cryztal Buzzz, Cryztal Nuke, Z Predator, and Z Surge SS. Cryztal for $20 and Z for $18.

I'll have these with me at leagues and any other time you catch me on the course so let me know if you'd like any.

http://i.imgur.com/LwXNRpv.jpg
reksav

PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 10:35 pm

These things are awesome^^^^^^^^. :thumbup:

I made a special trip out to the boonies to get 4 of them for myself.
Get them while you can.
krohn29

Postby Neighborhood » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:19 am

The fundraiser discs are looking pretty sweet! Gotta buy one myself for the shop wall.

Just a heads up, different stamped fundraiser discs from innova will be coming soon (4-6 weeks). But don't let that stop you from grabbing one of these sweet crystal or z discraft discs. Maybe grab a few of each! Either way you are supporting a good cause. The more discs sold, the more we can give back to the players and the Rochester disc golf scene.

Looking into other company fundraiser discs that could be released later on. Not a sure thing yet.
Neighborhood

PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:04 am

Hey Ryan,

What kind of Innova disc's are you getting the stamps on. ????
Are they gonna be all champ plastic to.?

Thanks Jason.
krohn29

Postby Neighborhood » Thu Mar 7, 2013 1:23 pm

Not exactly sure yet, still waiting for the go ahead from Innova to place the the order. The list of options for CFR discs is almost all glow discs, but I believe they will make exceptions.

Getting a few models in metal flake champ plastic. Going to see if they can do some bottom stamp star discs (Destroyer, Boss, Wraith) and then put the tourney stamp on top. Anyone have suggestions of discs they would want from Innova?

Here's the options list, but they will do metal flake ones and probably some star discs too.

Glow Champion Aviar
Glow Champion Big Bead Aviar
Champion Birdie
Glow Champion Boss
Star Classic Cobra
Champion Classic Roc
Star Classic Roc
Glow Champion Coyote
Glow Champion Destroyer
Glow Champion Firebird
Glow Champion FL
Glow Champion Gator
Glow Champion Gazelle
Champion Katana
Glow Champion Leopard
Glow Champion Mako
Glow Champion Monarch
Glow Champion Orc
Gummy Champion Rhyno
Glow Champion Sidewinder
Glow Champion Starfire
Glow Champion Teebird
Glow Champion Teebird [+]
Champion TeeRex-X
Glow Champion Wraith
Glow Champion XCaliber
Glow Champion XD
Neighborhood

PDGA #:

Postby Tmart » Thu Mar 7, 2013 4:47 pm

damn I would love a metal flaked champ gator.
Tmart

PDGA #:

Next

Return to Disc Golf Talk