2014 New York State Events

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Looking for input/interest

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

Looking for input/interest

Postby Khito » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

I work for the Town of Ontario Parks Dept. in Wayne County. We recently acquired a ~50 acre parcel of land to be used as a passive park. My supervisor and I have been discussing possibly creating a disc golf course there. I'm looking to see what kind of interest there might be in developing this idea. I have talked to the head of the disc golf club at the local high school about this and he is on board. I know many people (myself included) would like to see more locations on the east side. I feel if we can get enough interest/support, we can convince the "powers that be" in the town government that this is a feasible idea. We could also use some help in the layout and design area. Any thoughts out there? Thanks all.
Khito

Name: Ray Sanger
PDGA #:

Re: Looking for input/interest

Postby Dave T » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Great news! I know myself, as well as the students in the disc golf club (@ Wayne Central) are looking forward to helping this course come to fruition. C'mon fellow DG'ers, let's make this happen. The course would be less than 10 minutes East of the village of Webster...
Dave T

Name: David Tinnes
PDGA #:

Postby tfu42 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I think it is great idea and I would def be willing to help I want to pitch in more with the DG community. Plus a course in Webster-ish area would be a god send.
tfu42

Name: Donald Bowman
PDGA #:

Postby reksav » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd be happy to help in any way that I could, just let me know.

Where is this piece of land located?
reksav

Name: Derek Savory
PDGA #:

Postby Khito » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm

The parcel under consideration is the old town landfill site, located on Ontario Center Rd, about a half mile north of Rt. 104., There is a small parking area and gate on the west side of the road.
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby Flashlite » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Thats near Casey park isnt it?
Flashlite

Name: Tony Alloco
PDGA #:

Postby walker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm

I've been waiting for years for a course on the east side. Now I'm looking for a house on the west side to be closer to work. Don't worry, as soon as I move powdermill, webster park, and this Ontario course will happen right away.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby Khito » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm

@Flashlight The site is across the road and just north of the west end of Casey Park where the bike trail hits Ontario Center Rd.
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:32 am

This is phenomenal news. Possible par 60+?? That would be what we need on the east side.
ronbo

Name: Ron Arena
PDGA #:

Postby Brownguy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

:thumbup:
The difference between stupidity and genius is stupidity has no lmits
Brownguy

Name: Bobby Jones
PDGA #:

Postby ronbo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 am

I mean there couldn't be a better scenario to happen near webster/Rochester than a championship caliber course going up. Someone make this happen please
ronbo

Name: Ron Arena
PDGA #:

Postby Mudd Budd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm

How long ago was this piece of land last used as a landfill? I'm all for a course located on the East side; and I don't have much experience with landfills, but don't they produce methane gas which has quite an odor?

Not trying to be pessimistic- just wondering.
Mudd Budd

Name: Mike Drees
PDGA #: 52099

Postby Khito » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Mudd Budd wrote:How long ago was this piece of land last used as a landfill? I'm all for a course located on the East side; and I don't have much experience with landfills, but don't they produce methane gas which has quite an odor?

Not trying to be pessimistic- just wondering.

The landfill hasn't been used in at least 15 years. The town has spent the last 3 years going through the closing process with the DEC, and there are certain constraints on the property that need to be considered. There are a number vents down the center of the property, and test wells around the edge. Per DEC regs, we must maintain it so no roots grow down into the cap, which we do with a brush hog 3-4 times per season. I've never noticed any odor any of the times I've mowed or hiked there. I will be walking the area Friday the 14th with my supervisor and others from the town and I'll get more info about the site then.
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby Mudd Budd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Thank you!

Looking forward to the update
Mudd Budd

Name: Mike Drees
PDGA #: 52099

Postby FishyMack » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am

I would still be cautious about playing on top of an old landfill. Your choice, but I will stay away.
FishyMack

Name: Alan Mack
PDGA #:

Postby PL08 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I as well want this to happen. Don't care of the course had sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads, just makes the round more interesting.
PL08

Name: Peter Lunstead
PDGA #: 48755

Postby TCampbell » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

PL08 wrote: sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads

No sharks, they are on the endangered species list, but we do have illtempered mutant sea bass....
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby JBC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:40 am

My Father has capped many landfills and the end up good clean land, that sat empty! at least they are trying to make perfectly good land useful! otherwise it would be wasted, and well maintained land at that! I am down like a dirty clown! any course is a good course whether it would be an easier rec course near a school, that could get an E.D.G.E program and just get more people into the game! push forward and we will all help (skeptics aside)! What a great way to turn a tarnished piece of land into a useful park! not only that the schools could use it to teach children to recycle and how to renew already wasted land for good!
JBC

Name: Justin Caddick
PDGA #:

Postby Khito » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Walked the parcel this afternoon with Dave Tinnes from the disc golf club at the high school. We bounced around a number of ideas for making this work. I've been in communication with Ryan Hand and we are trying to coordinate a time to check it out and get his thoughts. Anyone have any design experience? The parks dept has already constructed a hiking trail along the south side of the property, and there are other ideas in planning as well, for benches, interpretive plantings, (sensory and butterfly gardens for starts) and sign boards describing the history of the landfill and detailing it's closing process. As I've been telling my supervisor for two years, we have a unique opportunity to create not only a recreational space, but an educational one as well. I'm hoping we can use the winter months to mesh these ideas together. You can get an overview of the property on Google maps, use the satellite feature and look west of Ontario Center Rd and south of Kenyon Rd. It's the large open area with a dirt/stone road running east-west. Like a tour some time? You can usually find me at Casey Park during the week, though I'll be off most of Christmas week.

And, thank you all for the interest!
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby vanza » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Royce Racinowski & Doug Corea are this area's premier disc golf course designers and would help you the most! These two have numerous courses "under their belts" including Chili,Basil Marella,Ellison,Oxbow Falls.....the list goes on......v
vanza

PDGA #:

Postby Sythie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Too bad Royce and Doug's names aren't the ones the town of Greece are giving a special thanks to on the sign at hole #1........ m
Sythie

Name: Matt Forsythe
PDGA #: 47259

Postby Dave T » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 am

Walking the land yesterday revealed exciting possibilities for what I think could be a great 9 hole course. (maybe 18, but I lack design experience) Possible water hazard in play, lots of berms built up, some change in elevation, etc. Very cool potential...

p.s. I'm thankful for all the folks that seek to further this awesome sport...let's do this together.
Dave T

PDGA #:

Postby Doug Corea » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks for the Kudos, Vanza?! and yes Royce (HOF 2000) and I are the oldest and most experienced designers, short of the Godfather of Disc Golf in Rochester and member of the first class (1993) Disc Golf Hall of Fame Jim Palmeri and Legend (70 and up division) (note: he was my 7th grade science teacher and I played in the first AFDO (now RFDO) in 1974, where Jim put up a brand new car.).

Anyways, Ray you have a good man In Ryan Hand, he designed Parma, a great course!! He lives closest to the prospective site and besides Royce and I are heavily involved w/the Victor Apple Farm project. I would be willing to consult once a preliminary design is in place and you can call me any time (387-0345). Good luck and I know the disc golf community will be behind your project.

Disc-gracefully yours,
Doug Corea PDGA #304 :thumbup:
Doug Corea

Name: Doug Corea
PDGA #:

Postby D_Hastings » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Over the past couple years I have played on some of the best courses in the country and have talked about course design with some of the big names in the sport. If you want it I could give my input on what would look good there. Also Paul Stephens is a mastermind designing shorewinds and angry apple at Darien. What level course were you thinking about?
Grip'nRip Discs
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 723&v=wall

ACERUNdg.com! check it!
D_Hastings

Name: Dan Hastings
PDGA #:

Postby Doug Corea » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:06 am

Hey Kid thanks for the push last night, lucky to make it home.

Regarding the level of the course at THE LANDFILL, with as much land as they have (50 acres), there is no reason not to develop this site into a World Class Championship Disc Golf Course with Pro par at least 60.

Chili DGC (est. 1995) is on approximately on 30 acres, and through planting of hundreds of trees has grown into a challenging ball golf type course with ever tightening FAIRWAYS.

Naturally that will take time and judicous plantings.

Ray, (FYI) Chili, Basil (Greece) and the new Spartan course at THE FARM (Victor) all have the first and tenth tees close to the parking areas, therefore allowing option of playing either 9-hole loop. I believe this is a design consideration, of course, the most important is making the course fun and challenging for all skill levels.

Ray, once again good luck with your project and I know the Disc Golf Community (~99.9%? sans Fishy Mack) is behind this, and I really love the Educational aspects and promoting respect of Mother Earth! :thumbup:

Disc-gracefully yours,
Doug Corea Pdga #304
Doug Corea

Name: Doug Corea
PDGA #:

Postby Khito » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 am

Update on the Ontario site. I walked the parcel with Ryan Hand last week and he agreed that the area does have good potential for a course. I plan on hiking the area more extensively in the next few months to get a better idea of the lay of the land there. Ryan has offered to look over designs when the time comes. Doug Corea has also expressed an interest in assisting.
The idea was mentioned as part of a 5 year plan at a recent Town Board meeting, coming away with favorable comments. Next step is determining what our constraints are on the property. To that end, a meeting is being set up in the next few weeks between myself, my supervisor, other town officials and the DEC to go over the specific concerns. I'll post an update afterwards.
Thanks again for the interest and support.
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby Khito » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Great news about the proposed Ontario Greenway course. (the official name of the old landfill) A preliminary meeting was held today with the DEC and the project is a GO! Turns out our DEC contact is a golfer himself and he is very enthused with the idea. Even better, there is money available in the capital closing fund to move forward on this project NOW. I was informed that the town wants to have the course designed and the construction well underway, if not finished, by years end. I know it's kind of sudden, I surely was not expecting any movement on this until later in the year. I'm trying to "slow" them down a little so that we can come up with a well designed and challenging course, and not just throw it together. Once things thaw, I may be looking for some volunteers. We're working on expanding the limited parking area now. Another meeting is being planned for a couple of weeks from now and I will have more info then. Depending on what date and time the meeting will be, my supervisor is welcoming anyone available to come by and give their thoughts. I've e-mailed Ryan Hand and Doug Corea with this info already, but the more support shown, the better. I will post more info as it becomes available. Thank you all for your interest already.
Khito

PDGA #:

Postby Forehander » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Khito wrote:Great news about the proposed Ontario Greenway course. (the official name of the old landfill) A preliminary meeting was held today with the DEC and the project is a GO! Turns out our DEC contact is a golfer himself and he is very enthused with the idea. Even better, there is money available in the capital closing fund to move forward on this project NOW. I was informed that the town wants to have the course designed and the construction well underway, if not finished, by years end. I know it's kind of sudden, I surely was not expecting any movement on this until later in the year. I'm trying to "slow" them down a little so that we can come up with a well designed and challenging course, and not just throw it together. Once things thaw, I may be looking for some volunteers. We're working on expanding the limited parking area now. Another meeting is being planned for a couple of weeks from now and I will have more info then. Depending on what date and time the meeting will be, my supervisor is welcoming anyone available to come by and give their thoughts. I've e-mailed Ryan Hand and Doug Corea with this info already, but the more support shown, the better. I will post more info as it becomes available. Thank you all for your interest already.

AWESOME! Huge Kudos to anyone who was involved in this, the only thing better than new discs is new courses!
Forehander

Name: Trevor
PDGA #:

Postby Sythie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Awesome to hear this!! Great work!! I grew up in Webster... Now maybe my parents will see me once in awhile with a course on that side of town.
Sythie

Name: Matt Forsythe
PDGA #: 47259

Postby Dave T » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Walked the land fill again yesterday w/Ray & Doug Corea...exciting to see ideas coming out and possible ideas for holes. Thanks to all that have stepped up and shown interest and taken some initiation. Might we have an East side course by this summer?!?!? Time will tell.

Also, please consider particpating in and supporting Tony Alloco's American Legion Open fundraiser touney this April 13th (Saturday.) See the thread re: American Legion Open. Two 12th graders will create an 18 hole course on the grounds of Wayne Central school (10minutes East of Webter, right off rt. 104) and host a legit tourney. The course will have open shots, elevation playing into multiple holes, wooded shots, etc. Should be a lot of fun, a great experience for these two young men and some sweet disc golf. Hope to see y'all there.
Dave T

PDGA #:

Return to Disc Golf Talk