Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

MCC has a new look!!!!

Course conditions, opinions and observations

Re: MCC has a new look!!!!

Postby myoung » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 am

A lot of discs were going in the water before the change ,when it was #17(can personally attest to that).....water attracts discs!
myoung

Name: mike young
PDGA #: 29174

Postby Baker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Totally agree with Matt, and no nets that would interfere with wildlife.
Baker

Name: Jake
PDGA #:

Postby mjoe25 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:34 pm

let it be known if there is a tee stake in a dangerous spot i will move it a few feet. and i wont lose any sleep because of it. im such a badass
mjoe25

Name: Mike
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 am

Wow, everybody take a deep breath!
If my post was not very clear or perhaps needed some extra explanation I would be more than willing to do so. Instead of taking a "glass half empty" look at things why not try to find out all of the facts.
The idea being kicked around is for a small, (short) little barrier at the bottom of the hills below certain baskets to catch the rollers down the slope - nothing more.

As i mentioned it is an idea being discussed.

Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby TCampbell » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:34 am

BeauRoch wrote:The idea being kicked around is for a small, (short) little barrier at the bottom of the hills below certain baskets to catch the rollers down the slope - nothing more.
Gene

I had that idea 3 years ago, almost got tared and feathered for it.

I like the idea, and for tournaments / leagues, put an OB line a foot above it so if the disc is against the barrier its OB.
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby Nived » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 am

TCampbell wrote:I like the idea, and for tournaments / leagues, put an OB line a foot above it so if the disc is against the barrier its OB.

I like that idea. That way there is still some risk of going OB without the risk of losing discs. I think everyone hates losing discs.
Nived

Name: Devin Woodward
PDGA #: 65399

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:57 pm

The thought was that if any discs were touching the "barrier" then they would be considered OB and then we would not have to worry about maintaining some OB perimeter line.

Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Postby walker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 pm

a telephone pole was the 'barrier' being discussed. I like the idea of OB if you're touching it. I'm not sure how that would work into the pdga rules.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby D_Hastings » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:58 pm

its called practicing...a made putt doesnt roll into the water and neither does a good lay up. and if it does....then ya get wet. chances are if it rolls in you will be able to fish it out.
Grip'nRip Discs
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 723&v=wall

ACERUNdg.com! check it!
D_Hastings

Name: Dan Hastings
PDGA #:

Postby Mudd Budd » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Just got the one i threw in back yesterday!
Mudd Budd

Name: Mike Drees
PDGA #: 52099

Postby zog9605 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:37 am

There are really only two holes to rim the slope on, and at a minimal cost to create a permanent OB "edge"/line that keeps play moving (by not having to "fish out" putts or up shots) I would agree to. It would add to ease of play especially with rookies, or seasoned twits( er, uh not me of course...) that keep playing this crazy sport..... The course is plenty hard now and for newbies it would encourage them to keep playing rather than quit in disgust, every time they screw up a putt or up-shot on those two holes. Again its more of a keep play moving issue to me than anything, double benefit is dry discs and ankles when its muddy and you slip trying to get your putter so you can take your bogie...UGGGHHH.
Go Big or Stay Home....its disc golf for cripes sake!
zog9605

Name: Mike Herzog
PDGA #:

Postby zog9605 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:39 am

Plus come winter and the discs start sliding on those holes onto the ice, it may keep someone from falling in during thaws...safety first
zog9605

PDGA #:

Postby zog9605 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 am

And its only because of how steep the grade is, if the slope were less it would be a moot point.
zog9605

PDGA #:

Postby Nived » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm going to go check out the new layout later today. No map yet? The course starts by the sports center where #13 used to be, right?
Nived

Name: Devin Woodward
PDGA #: 65399

Postby zog9605 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah and then you can stop in to Bill Grays tap room after and have a pint and some food, check out the scores and watch some skating. It is so cool now. I feel like kid on Christmas morning, everyday.
zog9605

PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:57 pm

The new MCC map has been added to the MCC page on our club site. I still need to adjust the Google Map view of the layout which I hope to get to soon.
I am also trying to get it uploaded to the DGCourseReview.com website.
Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 pm

thx
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby direwolf9 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Looks like hole 5 is backwards on the new map.
direwolf9

Name: John Walsh
PDGA #:

Postby walker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:46 pm

indeed it does.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 am

Isn't hole #5 the old #1?
Aren't you still throwing from the kiosk to the old #1 basket location or was it reversed? I knew the new #5 is the old #1 and perhaps didn't pay attention that the basket and tee were changed.
Please confirm and if that is the case I can have this corrected pretty quick.
Thanks,
Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Postby Ben Kieran » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 am

The way it is set up right now, #5's shot is from the top of that berm/hill that runs parallel to the creek to the basket which is tucked around the corner - roughly 40 feet from the kiosk. Path to hole 6 starts behind the basket. So - basically reversed from the way it is on the map now.

Also - hole 4 currently isn't tucked into the woods on the right - is that in the plans for the future, or is the map wrong? Currently sitting out in the open to the left of the gravel path.
Ben Kieran

Name: Benjamin Kieran
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks
I have corrected #5 and #4 seems to be close enough for mapping purposes.
The updated map will be on our site shortly.

Gene
BeauRoch

PDGA #:

Postby Ben Kieran » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Any chance we could get hole 19, currently by the tennis courts, installed on the hill adjacent to hole 1? Would make a great practice spot to warm up before a round. In its current location it basically never gets used.
Ben Kieran

PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 pm

It was originally put there by Prof.Rand for their PE classes.......talk to him about it........never know
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby FatKid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Rand stated that he has plans to move it, it will potentially take place when the cement tee pads go in
Jerami
FatKid

Name: FatKid
PDGA #:

Postby swiltse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Had a chance to play the new layout yesterday. There are some things I liked like the new starting hole and a few of the changed up holes, but there seemed to be some questionable hole designs that don't feel like they would be good for the long term.

#9 seems to be encouraging people to throw discs in the pond. I'm all for risk reward and love throwing over water, but the way that pin is positioned you're just asking for discs to at least role in on up shots/putts or if you go for it there's a significant risk of hitting water. I had a good layup and block the pond for my friends luckily cause one of their discs would of gone in.

#12 & #16 seem to play along/through a swamp. Luckily the ground was frozen and the water table is low now, but come spring early-summer those holes will be all but unplayable, specifically 16 seems to play right through the swamp.

I don't mean to complain, but I thought some of the reason for moving holes was to reduce the swamp/muck factor of the course. Just curious as to how/why the decisions on these holes were made. Love certain parts of this course and the fact that parking has been moved by the bar, but some of these holes just baffle me.

On a lighter note, thought a cool bonus hole could tee off from parking lot over water to #1's basket. How many beers will it take before we start doing this after a round?
swiltse

PDGA #:

Postby Ben Kieran » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm

swiltse - we've discussed the issues you've brought up, earlier in this thread. Take a look back through the thread and I think you'll get answers to your questions.

Short answer - I don't speak for the club, but the new layout isn't completed, input is appreciated, and some solutions for some issues are being discussed, or are on the to-do list for the next workday.
Ben Kieran

PDGA #:

Postby swiltse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah I've been keeping up with the discussion regarding #3 and #9 pins near the water. Those holes don't concern me as much cause you can still play them conservatively if you want.

I'm really more interested in thoughts on #12 and #16 as I haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue and it seems like those holes will be really wet/unplayable in the spring/summer.

I appreciate all the hard work the club puts into these courses and just wanted to give some constructive criticism to help make the courses as best as possible :)
swiltse

PDGA #:

Postby Ben Kieran » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm

My bad - thought the comments were posted in this thread, but they are in a separate thread in the Members forum, about MCC wet areas.

12 and 16 are discussed there, with mention of possibly backfilling to raise the ground level, etc.
Ben Kieran

PDGA #:

Postby rhand » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 am

We are well aware of the issues with 16 and are working on solutions. 12 has water to the left which we are also aware of and will be working on that as well. It is less severe that what old 3 is, but we still plan on correctting this as it all can and will be better.

Hole 9 definitely isn't encouraging you to throw in the water. It is simply meant to be a challanging hole...which I think was accomplished with everyone's complaining about it. We will have alternate pin locations in the future.

I appreciate you imput. Would love your help though the next time we have a work day so stay posted.

Ryan
rhand

Name: Ryan Hand
PDGA #: 18846

PreviousNext

Return to Area Courses