Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

A few disc golf videos for you to enjoy

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

A few disc golf videos for you to enjoy

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:34 pm

My buddy Ryan Pavone and I have decided to create a series of videos to highlight the fantastic disc golf courses in Rochester.
We originally had this idea before the Worlds; we wanted to show everyone from around the world what they were about to experience in the tournament.
Obviously we didn't get them done for the Worlds, but we found time last week to film both Basil and Genesee Valley Park, and I just finished uploading the videos to youtube.
We were glad to get GVP in before it was taken down, and I think the video will serve as a tribute to what a great course it is.
For both videos, as well as our future videos, we credit the GRDGC as an inspiration because Ryan and I have both started participating more fully in all the club has to offer, so we are making these videos in commemoration of everyone in the club, in addition to all the disc golfers here in Rochester.

Basil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOVKy9Xz1I

Genesee Valley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dT6StjttQ

Like it says in the youtube description, this series of videos is meant to showcase the great Disc Golf courses in Rochester. Even though the video represents one of the best possible playable scores, it's meant more to walk you through the course in a way that lets you see all aspects of the holes and all the course has to offer.

Let me know what you think of them! We're definitely looking for any kind of feedback.

Also, what courses would you guys like to see next? We want to do all of the courses in the area, so if there are any particular courses you want to see shot next, let us know.

Furthermore, if anyone here has any sort of creative artistic vision when it comes to disc golf, or has experience with photography, videography, or video production, and you want to help out, we're open to anything.
Andy

Name: Andy Dorofy
PDGA #:

Re: A few disc golf videos for you to enjoy

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 am

Andy,
You and Ryan did an absolutely amazing job on those videos! Too bad they weren't ready before Worlds because I am sure the PDGA would have loved to put them on their site to showcase the AM Worlds much like Pro Worlds did.
With your permission, I would love to see these on the club website for those course's pages.
You asked what would be next and with out a doubt it would have to be Chili and Parma. Eventually, it would be great to see videos for all of them. Hopefully, Adam Brennan (resident web master) will know how to embed the videos on the pages.
Also, I have done alot of the photography for the club and perhaps we can discuss how you would like to incorporate any of it into your work or future plans.
Really appreciate the effort you guys have put into this by creating a lasting memory of our courses during one of the biggest times in Rochester disc golf.
Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:15 am

Have to do Chili next......It was once a field meant to feed cattle (as it was a farm in 50s,60s,and 70s)........Now look was it is!
The only regret we have is that we never took pics of what it really looked like in 1994......
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby PL08 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:41 am

Hell of a job fellas! Can't wait to see the rest!
PL08

Name: Peter Lunstead
PDGA #: 48755

Postby chiefstang » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 am

GREAT friggin' videos! I've watched a ton of dg videos on YouTube, but this is one of the best. The image is crisp, the camera angles are awesome, and the production is spot-on!

Multiple shots or not, there were some great throws in there!

You should post these on the course pages at dgcoursereview.com.

As stated, Parma and Chili should be on the short list of to-do courses.

Great work guys, I already can't wait for the next one! :clap:
Still rockin' my green shirt!
chiefstang

Name: Sean Lewis
PDGA #: 48561

Postby Baker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 am

Andy and Ryan,

AWESOME JOB! These videos are great, looking forward to the next one.

Jake
F--k it. I'm throwing it downfield, Sexy Rexy’s got the arm. The dragon. You gotta unleash the dragon.
Baker

Name: Jake
PDGA #:

Postby AJB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am

Can we embed these on the course page(s)? Would be a great addition to the website for sure!
 Adam
AJB

Name: Adam Brennan
PDGA #: 34792

Postby Ryan Pavone » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 am

AJB wrote:Can we embed these on the course page(s)? Would be a great addition to the website for sure!

Please do. We would be honored. Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. We are hoping to get out this weekend for Chili and Parma but we are waiting for some filming equipment in the mail and the weather forecast doesn't look so good. :(
Ryan Pavone

Name: Ryan Pavone
PDGA #:

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Looks like Parma is next on the list, followed by Chili. Both will be really fun to film at, being mostly wide open.
Thanks for all the love, and like Ryan said, we'd really like to have the videos on the course pages here on the website - that was actually something we were originally hoping for if the videos were well received.
Adam I assume you can take the videos straight from youtube but if you need anything else or want different formats, let me know whatever would make it easiest.

Thanks again and we'll hopefully have Parma posted in a week or so (weather permitting)!
Andy

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

You guys did an incredible job on those videos. Keep up the good work. We could certainly use one for each course for the future. Plans are already starting for next year ---- but next year we will get the Pros and the Ams here and they will be doing their homework and watching these videos for sure !!!
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby donkey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 am

Like everyone else has said, the videos are awesome! Great image quality, unlike most other videos out there where you can't even see the disc.

In the name of constructive criticism, my only minor complaint is being able to see the tripod and cameraman in some shots. It draws your attention away from the scenery and killer throws a little bit.
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

donkey wrote:Like everyone else has said, the videos are awesome! Great image quality, unlike most other videos out there where you can't even see the disc.

In the name of constructive criticism, my only minor complaint is being able to see the tripod and cameraman in some shots. It draws your attention away from the scenery and killer throws a little bit.

I thought about that too when I was editing the video, but it's something we didn't think about when we were setting up cameras for the shots.
I'm going to pay more attention to it in the next video, though sometimes it's hard to have the cameraman in the fairway to be hidden from the camera trying to capture the fairway. Alternatively, it's even harder to try and hide the camera on the tripod behind the person driving from the filmer out in the fairway.

I might have to live with the tee-offs having the camera visible, but for putts and stuff it should be easy to eliminate the equipment from view.
Andy

PDGA #:

Postby JBC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:56 am

Now this is what makes me want to become an active member! people that just truly love the game of disc golf and promoting it! Awesome videos!
JBC

Name: Justin Caddick
PDGA #:

Postby donkey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:02 am

Andy wrote:I'm going to pay more attention to it in the next video, though sometimes it's hard to have the cameraman in the fairway to be hidden from the camera trying to capture the fairway. Alternatively, it's even harder to try and hide the camera on the tripod behind the person driving from the filmer out in the fairway.

I might have to live with the tee-offs having the camera visible, but for putts and stuff it should be easy to eliminate the equipment from view.

Yeah, I can imagine it would be tough to do. One thing I was thinking of though is that you could fake the drive for shots where you can't conceal the tripod. Take one throw that's recorded by the tripod, take down the tripod, and throw another disc of the same color that's recorded by the cameraman. If the throws have a similar flight path, it'd be hard to tell the difference. If they're radically different, cut to the human view very quickly or don't use the tripod shot at all. Anyway, just an idea even though it would likely be way more work than it's worth!

Once again, great job though! I can't wait to see Chili and Parma.
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Joey Hollywood wrote:Now this is what makes me want to become an active member! people that just truly love the game of disc golf and promoting it! Awesome videos!

Thanks a lot man
donkey wrote:Yeah, I can imagine it would be tough to do. One thing I was thinking of though is that you could fake the drive for shots where you can't conceal the tripod. Take one throw that's recorded by the tripod, take down the tripod, and throw another disc of the same color that's recorded by the cameraman. If the throws have a similar flight path, it'd be hard to tell the difference. If they're radically different, cut to the human view very quickly or don't use the tripod shot at all. Anyway, just an idea even though it would likely be way more work than it's worth!

Once again, great job though! I can't wait to see Chili and Parma.

We actually did do the multiple shot thing in the original videos (apparently we did it well because you didn't notice 8) ), we just never thought to move the camera out of the way - mostly because it's just too time consuming. Most of the time, especially at basil, we had to work around multiple groups of golfers that are playing the course. With that in mind, we're toting around equipment that ain't cheap, and I didn't want it more than a few feet away from me.
Chili and especially Parma should be easy because its usually pretty empty so I'll try and make those videos look extra snazzy.
Andy

PDGA #:

Postby donkey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Andy wrote:We actually did do the multiple shot thing in the original videos (apparently we did it well because you didn't notice 8) )

haha! Yup, you nailed it. I had no idea.
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby Vielshanko » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:30 pm

So after watching your claiming to have shot 17 down at Basil?
Vielshanko

Name: J
PDGA #:

Postby chiefstang » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Vielshanko wrote:So after watching your claiming to have shot 17 down at Basil?

Read his first post.
chiefstang

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Vielshanko wrote:So after watching your claiming to have shot 17 down at Basil?

No one would want to watch a +4.
Andy

PDGA #:

Postby Vielshanko » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Well if I wanted to get an understanding of the course like you said you intended, then I would rather watch the plus four because 17 down is far from an honest assessment of Basil. Your video makes the mighty Basil look like a pitch and putt, which we all know is not the case.
Vielshanko

Name: J
PDGA #:

Postby chiefstang » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Vielshanko wrote:Well if I wanted to get an understanding of the course like you said you intended, then I would rather watch the plus four because 17 down is far from an honest assessment of Basil. Your video makes the mighty Basil look like a pitch and putt, which we all know is not the case.

You know what they say: There's one in every crowd...

I for one enjoyed the great shot, multi-takes or not. They were what kept me glued to the video. Keep it up!
chiefstang

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Vielshanko wrote:Well if I wanted to get an understanding of the course like you said you intended, then I would rather watch the plus four because 17 down is far from an honest assessment of Basil. Your video makes the mighty Basil look like a pitch and putt, which we all know is not the case.

I can understand where you're coming from, but to film what you suggest would mean a video at least twice the length. Not only that, it would be unimpressive and bland. We wanted to keep it short and sweet - short holes and sweet shots.
I had to keep a balance between entertainment, information, and realism, with a bit of an emphasis on entertainment.
Andy

PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

There are certainly different ways to do a course review but the way you and Ryan have conceived your approach is unique and entertaining. Don't change a thing. You now have a captive audience to see how you will tackle Chili and Parma. Looking forward to them myself.
Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 pm

I agree with Gene -- don't change a thing
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby Cannonarm2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 am

I concur. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get -17 at Basil. But the video look good, though
Cannonarm2

Name: Wayne
PDGA #:

Postby Stetz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

Just watched them both. The video quality is great, the graphic in the corner with the hole number and length is great, the only problem I have is the score isn't realistic and it doesn't show enough of the actual hole. While long drives and tap in birds are fun to watch it just doesn't represent the design of the holes/course as a whole. I only say this b/c you stated you wanted to review/represent the course. I would be more than happy to watch a +4 score as long as you showed how the hole played from tee to basket.I know this could lengthen the video, but I've seen video reviews that have achieved this is under 12-15 mins.

By only showing "The best playable score" you do kinda make Basil look too easy though, and if I didn't know it and was considering courses to play I'd probably skip it after watching your review. It is good for the courses/rochester dg scene though so that's cool your taking the time. That's my opinion. I must be "one of those."
Basil Bum
Stetz

PDGA #:

Postby Ryan Pavone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm

It wasn't meant to be a review. Just to highlight the courses with and entertaining twist. We are going to try and keep the camera and camera man out of the picture on the next one. A lot of people have said they like how the videos are shot and not to change them. Going to keep going with the best shot idea. I don't think it makes basil look like a pitch and putt. Just looking at the tee off footage of each hole it looks like a wall of trees, especially hole 2. -17 at Basil and -15 at GVP are pretty unrealistic but not each shot alone by itself. Every shot birdied in the two videos can be birdied by most people. Andy's ace took around 30 shots but he's aced that hole multiple times on his first shot in the past. If you just read the caption on the you tube video it's easy to understand what the video is and isn't supposed to be. It's not a review of the course. it shows each hole as best as we could without taking multiple days to film.
Last edited by Ryan Pavone on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Pavone

PDGA #:

Postby chiefstang » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I showed my friends the videos(they loved them), and they said they saw you filming at Parma today.

Can't wait!!
chiefstang

Postby Ryan Pavone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:10 pm

chiefstang wrote:I showed my friends the videos(they loved them), and they said they saw you filming at Parma today.

Can't wait!!

Awesome! Ya soooo many people were at Parma today. In 4 hours all we got done was 7 holes because we had to let people play threw on almost every hole. One group did say they just watched the videos and said they liked them! Awesome to hear the love
Ryan Pavone

PDGA #:

Postby Stetz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Dude. It clearly states in the description in the very first post that this was "meant more to walk you through the course in a way that lets you see all aspects of the holes and all the course has to offer." Well, your video barely touches on this. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm only doing what you asked, offering critical advice. I apologize if you're displeased with the fact that I'm not joining everyone else in giving you nothing but praise. I'm only offering an opinion that you could better the video by showing more of an actual walk-through of the hole after you take your tee-shot. There's no way for you to take your drive and with the camera behind the tee record the walk from the tee to where the shot landed and then edit it so it plays in a fast-forward type deal when someone views it? ya get what I'm saying?
Basil Bum
Stetz

PDGA #:

Next

Return to Disc Golf Talk