2014 New York State Events

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

2012 worlds

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

2012 worlds

Postby donkey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

After seeing how much fun the 2011 worlds looked like, I'm thinking it would be really cool to sign up for next year's tournament. I'm a very casual player and don't know how all this tournament stuff works so I was wondering if anyone could fill me in. I guess the first question is whether or not you need to be a PDGA member. Do you need to have a certain minimum rating in order to qualify? It looks like registration hasn't opened up yet, but does anyone know (or have a guess) how much it will cost? Do big tournaments like these have many truly bad people play? I have no aspirations of being real competition to anyone but I'd just like to think that I won't finish in last place... ;)
donkey

PDGA #:

Re: 2012 worlds

Postby walker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I was just about to start a thread about this. After all the worlds excitement here, I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing. A lot of us put so much time and effort into rochester worlds, but didn't get to play. I think all those folks are looking toward 2012.

there's a couple of very informative threads going on discgolfcoursereview.com. There's also information on the host club's website http://www.charlottedgc.com/

They are using 14 courses and hoping for over 1000 players. 2012 is pro worlds and am worlds combined in the same place. They've also got some huge sponsor's in the works and hopefully gonna make it the largest payout ever. This years pro worlds is the mark to beat on that. They have a host hotel lined up too.

Here's a video with info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ROb2nWgCw
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby walker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 pm

You do have to be a pdga member at the time of the tournament, and also pass an officials exam, which is online and 'open book'.

If you play in any pdga sanctioned events this year, you will earn points. Invites for 2012 will be based on those points. If you get invited, you can register before everyone else (around March) Then after a certain date (around May), anybody who wants to pay the entry fee can register, regardless of points. This year it was $115 I believe.

There's lots of 'truly bad' players in the Am worlds. It's worth the experience anyway. Just being around worlds this year and not playing was so much fun, can't imagine how awesome playing will be. Don't worry, I'll be on the bottom card with you :wink:
walker pdga #35267
walker

PDGA #:

Postby donkey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 pm

walker wrote:If you play in any pdga sanctioned events this year, you will earn points. Invites for 2012 will be based on those points. If you get invited, you can register before everyone else (around March) Then after a certain date (around May), anybody who wants to pay the entry fee can register, regardless of points. This year it was $115 I believe.

Let's see if I got that right... If you're a PDGA member this year and are good enough to have enough points, you get a free ride? Are points easy enough to come by that someone like me (i.e. not very good) could join this late in the season and still get an invite?

walker wrote:There's lots of 'truly bad' players in the Am worlds. It's worth the experience anyway. Just being around worlds this year and not playing was so much fun, can't imagine how awesome playing will be. Don't worry, I'll be on the bottom card with you :wink:

Alright man, seeya there! ;)
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 am

The PDGA wants all the players it can get to play in the Worlds.NO one will ever be denied!( It is good for business) From my experience they send out invites to qualified players THEN they open it up on a 1st Come....1st Serve basis......again they will not deny anyone from my experience..........Have FUN......you will meet a LOT of nice folks and make friendships that last..I still am in contact with 4 players I met at the 2000 AM Worlds......Dave
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby FatKid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 am

Bottom line is that if you want to play in the Am Worlds next year, you will need to purchase a 2012 PDGA membership. You will also need to take and successfully pass the Official's exam to prove your knowledge of the rules.

Don't worry about trying to get any points this year, you can play the Chili Cook Out, or the RFDO next year and you will have a ranking. There are plety if tourneys that you can play in, it is not a rush to get it done now.

Even with a ranking of any kind, don't expect or wait for a PDGA invite... It's like waiting for the homecoming queen to ask you to the prom. Keep an eye on the PDGA website, join the forums, and take note of when Open Enrollment will begin. If by chance you get your invite before then, great, if not sign up as quickly as you can after the open date.

With Pro and Am together this year, there will be a larger draw of Am players, so they may reach the maximum number of players. That is likely te only way to get denied entry. Like Dave stated, they want everyone, so they won't necessarily deny you for ranking, but for capacity reasons. To reiterate, don't wait for the Homecoming Queen to ask, or you will get stuck going to the prom with your cousin... Again!
Jerami
FatKid

Name: FatKid
PDGA #:

Postby donkey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

FatKid wrote:...you will get stuck going to the prom with your cousin... Again!

OMG, how did you know!? ;) Thanks for the info guys.
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby TCampbell » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 am

FatKid wrote:you will get stuck going to the prom with your cousin... Again!

Is this speaking from experience?
TCampbell

Name: Tim Campbell
PDGA #: 30251

Postby BeauRoch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

Just for clarification. The early invite for "points qualified" PDGA members is just that, an invite. You will still need to pay the entry fee - which will probably stay at $115 for all non-junior players. Juniors entry fees are lower..$85 (I think).

Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm

OK --- might as well start now --- Who is going? I certainly am but to play, not to direct :D :D :D
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby walker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:24 pm

You don't need to be a pdga member this year to earn points. When Tournament Directors turn in the results the pdga keeps them and figures out points. You need to be a member at the time of worlds to play though. As mentioned, you have to pay either way.

I really want to go, but who knows what will happen by next summer. Maybe if I put in now for the time off work...
walker pdga #35267
walker

PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 pm

My plan is to be there and playing!
Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Brownguy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:49 am

I would suggest you sign up now,take the test then play the Luau in Lewiston/Wilson in 2 weeks. It will give you a head start on points and get you Tournament experience! The courses down there are designed by Mark Huther(crushed the Ams at 2009 RFDO) and Stan the mad genius McDaniel One word for them SICK!!!!!.
The difference between stupidity and genius is stupidity has no lmits
Brownguy

Name: Bobby Jones
PDGA #:

Postby donkey » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the suggestion Brownguy. I wish I could do that but that weekend is already booked. Oh well. Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the open pool and all the others? I looked at the registration fees and that one is the most expensive.
donkey

PDGA #:

Postby krohn29 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm thinking about going, but i love to camp so ill be looking for some places to pitch my tent and kick back and relax. If anybody know's some campgrounds around the area that the worlds will be going on let me know.
krohn29

Name: Jason Krohn
PDGA #: 47440

Postby walker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 am

"Open" is as in "Pro Open". It's the division for pro's, which anybody can play. If you win you get cash. If you win in an amateur division you get merchandise, because you're not allowed to take cash.
walker pdga #35267
walker

PDGA #:

Return to Disc Golf Talk