Gonzo Doubles

Sat

2:00p

Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Which course should we play?

About the 2011 PDGA Amateur World Championships!

Which course should we play?

Postby JoBo » Sat Jul 3, 2010 8:17 pm

My wife and I are driving back to MA from AM Worlds and have stopped for the night in Henrietta. We'd like to play one of the 2011 Worlds courses Sunday morning (July 4) before we continue on. Any suggestions? A tour guide would be nice too. :)

We were thinking maybe Parma. Can anyone give me an actual address to plug into my GPS?

Please email me directly at devensdg@gmail.com. Thanks!

------------------
John Borelli
Devens Disc Golf
Devens, MA
http://www.devensdiscgolf.com
JoBo

Name: John Borelli
PDGA #:

Re: Which course should we play?

Postby Dave Thomas » Sat Jul 3, 2010 10:43 pm

If you are in Henrietta you wouldbe best served playing at Monroe Community College on East Henrietta Road! It is north of Jefferson Road...........Have FUN................Parma is too ar away from Henrietta if you have a time constraint.
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

Name: Dave Thomas
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Sat Jul 3, 2010 11:21 pm

Hope you enjoyed your experience at Am Worlds. I am still here in Ohio wrapping things up. You should really try to go to Chili in the morning. MCC is not ready. We are changing a few of the holes and the pins will be in different positions then they are now. Chili is beautiful with concrete pads and new tee signs --- and after a round at Chili, you will be day-dreaming about when you get back to Rochester next year to play it again. You can get the info and directions to Chili on our website or on the PDGA website. Or you can call me tomorrow am at 585-429-0077 for directions. Enjoy and see you next year !!!!

Tony Inzana
2011 Am Worlds TD
Tony Inzana

Name: Tony Inzana
PDGA #: 15770

Postby JoBo » Sun Jul 4, 2010 6:38 am

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like we're going to Chili since it is only 10 miles from our hotel. Going by the photos on PDGA.com, it'll be a refreshing change from those OH courses I just played.

Look me up if you ever come down to MA and I'll show you around my course.
JoBo

PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Tue Jul 6, 2010 9:06 am

This an email I received in follow up of this post:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I loved Chili! Wow! What a beautiful course. Well designed too. I love how several of the holes have trees or other obstacles in most people's landing zones. Even though there are a lot of 300 footers, the pin placement is creative and makes you throw smart. Plus all that tall grass and plantings really makes for an incredible course. Well done. The World is going to love this course.

It sure was nice to be able to grip it and rip it after a week of mostly short technical holes in Ohio.

I have a few comments to share from the view of one course designer to another. Do you have plans to add the alt tees to the tee signs? We could not find the alt tees on any holes and my wife ended up just making up her own. We did find a random painted disc in the grass occassionally. Maybe you can add a flag or painted stake so that golfers can find them? Maybe you aren't allowed due to lawn mowing, tho.

Also, if the baskets were indicated by larger dots it would be helpful on a few holes.

I can't believe that whole park is just for disc golf and that you have a great parking lot and bathroom. Good deal! My town won't even let us put up a sign in front of my course!

Thanks again for the recommendation and good luck in getting ready for Worlds. If the other courses are anywhere near as nice as Chili, people are going to be very happy next year.

- John

John Borelli
Devens Disc Golf
devensdiscgolf.com
Tony Inzana

Postby BeauRoch » Wed Jul 7, 2010 1:50 pm

That is awesome. Speaks volumes for all of the work that Greg and everybody else has put into that course.
As far as alt. tee locations perhaps we can copy what Lake Shore park did by placing boards in the ground (pressure treated 2x4s) to mark the front of that tee box even though you are still throwing from the grass but at least you will have shorter tees that can be mowed over without any problems. Just a thought and a cheap solution until we possibly ever put cement in for short tees.

Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby Dave Thomas » Wed Jul 7, 2010 4:57 pm

I spoke to Mike Curley about this very thing! All we have to do is show him what it looks like and that it will not be a hindrance to the Park's mowing crew....sooooooooooooo.....dt
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

PDGA #:

Postby ruxc82 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am

As for short tee pads when making the 2x4 two options come to mind. A) Put the board in a couple feet long flush to the ground then your done. B) Put in two pieces of a board to designate the end of the tee pad. Cheaper and less work but not as nice. Next if you can paint them that would be great color doesn’t blend as much into the grass. And last bit of advice if some has a router and the pens are permanent then you can cheaply add the distance to the pin and hole numbers to them. Little touches can go a long ways. Good luck.
ruxc82

Name: david
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 am

great suggestions -- I do need to talk to the PDGA about our courses and our tee pads, especially since it looks like we will not be able to get concrete everywhere for the worlds, really to make sure that that is an appropriate tee pad to use for the worlds
Tony Inzana

Postby Dave Thomas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 am

They did the "2X4" thing at the Shorewinds DG Course and it looked great! Nice ideas when $$$ is short!
Dave Thomas
Dave Thomas

PDGA #:

Postby JoBo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 am

There were several courses at Worlds in Ohio that were natural, so there may not be tee pad reqs. No cement, no pad, no nothing. One was actually slippery gravel. A temporary rubber pad would have helped in that case.
JoBo

PDGA #:

Postby DeafDiscGolfer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 am

Hey John,

Glad you stopped by Rochester, my long-played home courses, before heading to Mass. I've been now living in VT since March but been trying to find time/days to visit Rochester often during the year. (Is there weekend leagues? It would be nice...)

Your course at Devens are one heck of tough course! Just like Basil but with lots of hills!! Par 54!!

Its been a pleasure to play with you in the first round at the Winter Winds tournament at HCC last winter and at King of Hills 2 that you hosted (very cool player's package!).

-Patrick 8)
Tee Off and Pay ATTENTION!! :shock:
(a twisted concept from Ed's infamous quote)
http://www.ddga.org
NEDDG #12 / DDGA #134 / DGCR #1287 / PDGA #42420
DeafDiscGolfer

Name: Patrick Harris
PDGA #:

Postby ruxc82 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:55 pm

One idea that we are currently using for a local course here is Berber loop carpet with marine backing. We got it at lowes during the fall marked down to 12 cents a sq ft. It’s black in color. It has worked great so far both wet and dry. In a down poor you can still trust it for grip. However if mud starts to build on it the grip starts to go away but they can be cleaned off. The carpet is plenty wide for a tee pad. Then you cut it to length. We dug a small trench then inserted about 3 inches into the ground and used galvanized nails to hold it down then cover it up with the dirt left over. We did this for both the front and back. This makes it flush to the ground and helps prevent the carpet from pulling out the nails or ripping. Also the park is able to mow over the carpet as well.

A more expensive and more accepted solution to parks who want to keep things natural is turf grass. There are several places like http://www.ondecksports.com/index.php?f ... lturf_used that have used turf that works great for disc golf. Both of these are cheaper solutions then concrete. There are many ideas and lot of them work out really great. They all have different life spans as well. So, a lot to think about on deciding what to do. Good luck.
ruxc82

Name: david
PDGA #:

Postby Johnny Flash » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 am

now that's some good engineering there!!!! i like it you could even use a 2X4 at the front and back attached to the carpet and buried in the ground for better stability.....1 question i have is how long do you think it will last? 2nd question is how did you prepare the surface under the carpet?
JOHNNY FLASH
Johnny Flash

Name: John Alloco
PDGA #: 25466

Postby walker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm

used turf... looks like a viable option. Turf from the Syracuse Carrier Dome is nearby. Still holding on to hope of cement though.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am

I know that they have been using used turf in North Carolina and it is working great --- we will know more by week end in regards to the parks and the tees. The turf might be a good option for sure.
Tony Inzana

Postby HueymanNC » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:16 am

Tony Inzana wrote:I know that they have been using used turf in North Carolina and it is working great --- we will know more by week end in regards to the parks and the tees. The turf might be a good option for sure.

Where in North Carolina?
HueymanNC

Name: Mark Huether
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 am

Asheville -- under my friend James Nichols direction
Tony Inzana

Postby HueymanNC » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I couldnt make the Mountain Disc Golf Experience this year. Next year it is my goal to make it up there and watch the Urban Skins...if none of you guys have seen it online ... check it out on youtube. Asheville lets the tournament directors up there set up a temp course in downtown. Then the players play around the streets, buildings, and cars for skins. Its pretty wild. Crazy North Carolinians.

I think if you just search Urban Skins Asheville you'll get it.
HueymanNC

Name: Mark Huether
PDGA #:

Postby Tony Inzana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:09 pm

I also have not had a chance to see the urban skins in person -- but Mr. Nichols will be here next year helping me run the worlds --so you never know what's in store for next year when he is involved :D
Tony Inzana

Return to 2011 AM Worlds