Women's League

Monroe County Sports

Gonzo Disc Golf

Websites by SiteSteward, Inc.

Woodlands Grand Opening

Anything disc golf related in the Greater Rochester NY area

Woodlands Grand Opening

Postby dhoock » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:09 am

On Sunday, July 20, in coordination with the Town of Gates, there will be an event at The Woodlands.

Along with a ribbon cutting, there will be an instructional clinic for new players and a1:00pm doubles tournament.

If anyone is interested in helping please let me know. I could use help getting the course ready this spring, a few experienced players that would be able to help with the instructional part, and someone in the club with tournament experience to talk through some of my ideas with.

More details to come.

Thanks,

Dan
dhoock

Name: Daniel Hoock
PDGA #:

Re: Woodlands Grand Opening

Postby t4stywh34t » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm going to be super busy the rest of this month, but I'd love to help out (though I don't have a chainsaw). A couple buddies and I have played the course 3-4 times so far (we just park at the gate and walk in) and are getting better at it. There are a couple things we're wondering: 1) Where's the sign for hole 9? We looked around a bit and could not find it. So we've been throwing from the little rise by 8's basket over the little pond. Works great, we just wish we knew where to actually start. 2) We noticed there's a lot of random crap around the course, including a recliner; is part of the clean-up plan getting rid of all that stuff?
t4stywh34t

Name: Charles Meeks
PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 am

The tee sign for #9 I found laying near the big over the winter, and I just need to get out there to put it back in the ground. Originally, I had wanted to throw over the little pond, but that fills in quick with leaves in the spring. There is a path that comes out to the clearing and you throw from there. I should have the sign back up soon.

As for the random furniture. I have no idea how or when it showed up, but I've been talking with the town to get rid of that too.
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby walker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm

If you moved the recliner to the parking lot, I bet the town would get rid of it really quickly.
walker pdga #35267
http://love146.org
walker

Name: walker
PDGA #:

Postby t4stywh34t » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:57 am

dhoock wrote:The tee sign for #9 I found laying near the big over the winter, and I just need to get out there to put it back in the ground. Originally, I had wanted to throw over the little pond, but that fills in quick with leaves in the spring. There is a path that comes out to the clearing and you throw from there. I should have the sign back up soon.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I just found the course map from an older thread, should've figured that was a better spot to throw from. Yeah, the pond's interesting. One of the times we played it was a lot colder than we'd expected, and our discs landed nicely on the ice. It was fun crawling across to retrieve them :lol: .
t4stywh34t

Name: Charles Meeks
PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Mon Jun 9, 2014 6:16 am

I am meeting with the town this week to iron out the details. Then I'll pass along an update.
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 am

Tournament info: July 20 at 1:00pm. Doubles tournament. $10 per team. Discs and cash prizes. You can register at the town of Gates and I will add an on line link to register when they have it ready. We will play the course twice through, with different tees on the second nine.

Also, if anyone would be interested in coming at 11:00am that morning to help lead an instructional clinic that would be awesome! We'll be giving out discs to the first 40 or so that come. Feel free to invite any new players out.

Hope to see you there!
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby hisson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:41 pm

It is what it is: That overstuffed piece of junk is halfway out of the woods toward the parking lot. What remains is next to the #9 fairway. Tomorrow, I suspect it will be in the parking lot.
A little while ago my lovely wife and I removed thirty pounds ( twelve kilos ) of trash; thank you very much.
hisson

Name: Norman Craft
PDGA #:

Postby hisson » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:07 pm

DONE
hisson

PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Tue Jul 1, 2014 8:31 pm

Wow! Thanks. Hopefully people stop dragging furniture out there. I'm heading out in the next day or two to get an idea of if anything else needs to be done before the 20th. Thanks again, your efforts are greatly appreciated!
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby hisson » Thu Jul 3, 2014 6:28 pm

See you, probably July 20. I am registered
hisson

PDGA #:

Postby Messmer1277 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:25 pm

Greg
Good afternoon cant wait to play on the 20th. Course is a nice little set up. Just wanted to confirm tournament is a go and will be heading to Gates town hall to register.
Is there any other location to register?
Messmer1277

Name: Scott Messmer
PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 am

Tournament is on! You can also register online if you go to gates recreation website. See you next Sunday! Also, I've been asked to see if I can get a portable basket for the grand opening at 11:00am if anyone has one and would be willing to let us use it.
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby Messmer1277 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:33 am

Course looks good. 9 needs to be a bit more player friendly.
No fairway Can't wait til next week
Messmer1277

Name: Scott Messmer
PDGA #:

Postby BeauRoch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 am

Dan - Great job yesterday getting the grand opening event together.

Found the clip online from the big ceremony:
http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/75 ... -in-gates/

Big thanks to Jamie Habitzreuther for helping me cobble together a "clinic" for the event.

Gene
BeauRoch

Name: Gene Beaumont
PDGA #:

Postby dhoock » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Gene and Jamie, you guys were awesome! Thanks for helping out. It was a real cool day and I hope everyone that played in the tournament had fun. I'll keep working to make the course better and I welcome any feedback. We've already made lots of positive changes and there should be a few more to come soon.
dhoock

PDGA #:

Postby jamie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm

no problem at all Gene. i had a blast, it was a lot of fun! thanks Dan for putting it all together, glad to have been able to make it.
jamie

PDGA #:

Return to Disc Golf Talk